Subject: npds Digest V1 #10

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:22:12 +0100 (CET)

<x-charset x-mac-text>------------------------------------
npds Digest	Mon, 13 Nov 2000	Volume: 01  Issue: 010

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: [Protocol Draft] SHARE & QUERY - Or a network of 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 07:27:51 -0800
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [Protocol Draft] SHARE & QUERY - Or a network of trackers?
From: "Josh Burker" <nospam_Josh_Burker_at_misd.wednet_dot_edu>

[email-masked] writes:
>
>Sounds a little complex, but well, I'm just waiting for your 
>agreement to document it and implement it with Victor. Of course, I'd 
>prefer first some comments.
>Regards,
>
>Paul

If you are able to build it (and I'm sure you will be able to), this
implementation of the Tracker client sounds wonderful. 

Josh Burker

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:29 -0500
From: "Victor Rehorst" <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [Protocol Draft] SHARE & QUERY - Or a network of t

On Sun, Nov 12 2000 Paul Guyot wrote:
>
>Since I worked a little with Victor on his java tracker server, I 
>decided to resume the work on the protocol draft waiting for my 
>Newton to come back in order to work on the ATA Support.
>
>The draft is available at:
>http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/npds/NPDS_Protocol_1.1.html
>
>And all contributions are welcomed.
>
>I was thinking about the SHARE & QUERY commands which were defined 
>for historical reasons. (With Victor, we are working on the SHARE 
>bug).

SHARE was conceived by Matt Vaughn. I wrote QUERY, but I can't remember why.

>
>Now, this means some changes in the SHARE and QUERY methods. If I 
>understand what we drafted in July-August, the SHARE command is for 
>servers registered on a tracker and QUERY for them all. This doesn't 
>seem really worth it having two commands since it's better to know 
>all Newtons another tracker knows, even if those Newtons were not 
>registered on it. However, we need a command to know all data about 
>Newtons, such as the Hash (unimplemented and even not documented - a 
>unique hash of the unique ID to identify a Newton, so that we could 
>have ICQ like icons) and the tracker this Newton is registered on.

Like I said, I don't remember why I wrote SHARE.

>
>Now, we'll have to choose when the sharing is done.
>Here is a suggestion: (we could stick on what's currently half 
>implemented in Victor's tracker)

<snip>

>
>
>
>Sounds a little complex, but well, I'm just waiting for your 
>agreement to document it and implement it with Victor. Of course, I'd 
>prefer first some comments.

If sounds good. I think I will try to get SHARE fixed soon and you can document the new protocol stuff for v2 or maybe V3.
--
Victor Rehorst - Toronto, Ontario, Canada - [email-masked]
Sent from a Newton Messagepad 2100 w/SimpleMail 4.1.3 and Proxim RangeLAN2
http://www.chuma.org

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V1 #10
*************************

</x-charset>