Subject: npds Digest V1 #4

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:17:19 +0200 (CEST)

<x-charset x-mac-text>------------------------------------
npds Digest	Sun, 15 Oct 2000	Volume: 01  Issue: 004

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Upgrading...
		[NPDS] Re: Upgrading...
		[NPDS] [Bug Report] Searching a note

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 23:18:04 -0600
From: "John I. Clark" <nospam_jiclark_at_independence_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Upgrading...

Howdy...

I've been meaning to upgrade all my NPDS components, but realized I have
a few questions:

1) Do I need to delete all the old pkgs before installing the new?
2) If the answer to 1) is no, then can I just fire up the new pkgs when
I'm done upgrading, and all my settings will be intact?
3) I have a custom index.html note, will that still be automatically
loaded when I fire up the upgraded pkgs?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, and thanks for your help!

I'll email when I'm back up and running...
John

--
John I. Clark
Glass artist & Mac aficionado
Ridgway, CO 81432-0053
970-626-5980
1-888-898-5980
970-626-3750(F)
mailto:[email-masked]
http://home.independence.net/jiclark

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 13:04:35 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Upgrading...

>1) Do I need to delete all the old pkgs before installing the new?

All new packages have the same signature than the old one.
The exception is the GIF Server, but the new one is not based at all 
on the old one. They just use the same path (/screen/).

You can remove them all, it's not a bad idea. Think about restarting 
once all packages are installed.

>2) If the answer to 1) is no, then can I just fire up the new pkgs when
>I'm done upgrading, and all my settings will be intact?

No, all your settings won't be intact. But this is the last time 
settings are reset. This is because the old packages had another way 
to handle settings. They are reverted to default when some important 
upgrade occurs. Now, the packages try to guess what needs to be 
updated/reverted/removed.

Here is the upgrading note:
>Don't forget to re-configure everything after upgrading. This is the 
>last time you'll have to re-configure stuff since I updated the 
>preferences overriding mechanism.
>Few things (since there is no documentation yet):
>a/ set the latency to a big value: NPDS now support multiple connections.
>b/ there are now two folders in NoteServ. Both are the public notes. 
>The first one is the one where index.html is searched for. All notes 
>in the second appear in Notes List SSIs. (both from visitors and 
>you). This fixes a security hole.
>c/ Notes can still be accessed with the ID and the Store ID, but 
>they also can be accessed with the name.
>
>Known Bugs I remember of:
>a/ there is a bug with multiple connection and the log. Some 
>requests will not appear. This is because the log code is not 
>re-entrant.
>b/ in the WebPager, I wrote Recieved instead of Received.
>c/ the unregister mechanism doesn't work all the time with Matt's 
>tracker, but this is likely a bug in Matt's tracker. (it works fine 
>with Victor's tracker).

There is another bug, but it probably was in the old packages: note 
search's results give bad links.

>3) I have a custom index.html note, will that still be automatically
>loaded when I fire up the upgraded pkgs?

I'm not sure about what you mean by firing up the upgraded packages 
(I haven't found the expression in any of my dictionaries, including 
The Chambers), but the index.html lookup method is still the same.

Regards,

Paul
-- 
Attention, nouvelle adresse.
New address, please update.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:50:03 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] [Bug Report] Searching a note

Indeed as Chuck noticed it, there is a bug in the search results for 
the notepad. It will be fixed in the next release of NoteServ.

Paul
-- 
Attention, nouvelle adresse.
New address, please update.

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V1 #4
************************

</x-charset>