Subject: npds Digest V1 #8

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 03:22:21 +0100 (CET)

<x-charset x-mac-text>------------------------------------
npds Digest	Mon, 06 Nov 2000	Volume: 01  Issue: 008

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Tracker Stuff.
		[NPDS] Re: NPDS Crashes
		[NPDS] Re: NPDS Crashes

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:08 -0500
From: "Victor Rehorst" <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Tracker Stuff.

I made a minor change to my tracker server that might fix the intermittent problem in the server verification code that was causing it to get stuck.

It looks like sometimes a timeout out exception doesn't always fire properly for hosts that are down. Also on occasion I was getting buffer full errors from Java somewhere.

I'd appreciate it if people running NPDS servers could use my tracker for the next few days to see if I've fixed the problem. Just point your Tracker Client to 131.104.48.34 port 2110.

Matt, maybe you could put a link to my tracker from yours?
--
Victor Rehorst - Toronto, Ontario, Canada - [email-masked]
Sent from a Newton Messagepad 2100 w/SimpleMail 4.1.2 and Proxim RangeLAN2
http://www.chuma.org
--
Victor Rehorst - Toronto, Ontario, Canada - [email-masked]
Sent from a Newton Messagepad 2100 w/SimpleMail 4.1.2 and Proxim RangeLAN2
http://www.chuma.org

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:40:43 -0800
Subject: [NPDS] NPDS Crashes
From: "Josh Burker" <nospam_Josh_Burker_at_misd.wednet_dot_edu>

Hello all:

	I've been running my NPDS on my MP2100 for several weeks now with no
problems.

	However, this morning somebody (I'm not logging) dropped by my Newton and
pulled up the screen (I'm running Paul's newest version of the GIFServer
and have removed the two older GIFServer components).  This caused my
Newton to crash:  it rebooted itself and told me that a system error had
caused the crash (no error number was reported)

	Subsequently, I was unable to take a screenshot without the Newton
crashing.  I went through and removed a bunch of packages to make sure I
had plenty of room (I have about a meg left on my 10mb card in the PCMCIA
slot, about 800k left internally).  I also removed the GIFServer package
and reinstalled it, trashed the NPDS storage and cleared the NPDS cache. 
Additionally, I ran SBM Utilities on the Newton to make sure everything
was in line there, which it seems to be.

	It seemed to work again, so I left it running for a while then came back
to it to make sure it was still running.  I got no response, so I
restarted the Newton (by pressing the restart button, since I got no
response from the Newton).  Upon bringing NPDS back up, I still got
crashes.  Again, I trashed the NPDS cache (deleted the NPDS entry from the
Storage area on the Newton) and deleted GIFServer.  I then rebooted the
Newton and reinstalled GIFServer, and it served a screenshot for me.

	I seem to have plenty of heap available when I'm doing the screenshots,
and this has never been a problem in the past.  What has become corrupted?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh Burker

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:02:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_victor_at_eddie.cis.uoguelph_dot_ca>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS Crashes

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Josh Burker wrote:

> 	However, this morning somebody (I'm not logging) dropped by my Newton and
> pulled up the screen (I'm running Paul's newest version of the GIFServer
> and have removed the two older GIFServer components).  This caused my
> Newton to crash:  it rebooted itself and told me that a system error had
> caused the crash (no error number was reported)
<snip>

I was getting my server hanging every few hours when I had the screenshot
(with the new GIFServer) on my homepage.  I think there's probably just
some problems with the C++.  I dunno.

-------Victor Rehorst - [email-masked] | [email-masked]
-Secretary, College of Arts and CPES Student Councils, University of Guelph-
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 21:52:40 +0100
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS Crashes

>  >	However, this morning somebody (I'm not logging) dropped by 
>my Newton and
>>  pulled up the screen (I'm running Paul's newest version of the GIFServer
>>  and have removed the two older GIFServer components).  This caused my
>>  Newton to crash:  it rebooted itself and told me that a system error had
>>  caused the crash (no error number was reported)
><snip>
>
>I was getting my server hanging every few hours when I had the screenshot
>(with the new GIFServer) on my homepage.  I think there's probably just
>some problems with the C++.  I dunno.

Josh's story let me think NPDS stores the picture in the cache, but I 
may be wrong. (as you probably already know, I have no MP2x00 left to 
work on). Could you check with a soup browser?

Otherwise, if you want, the GIF server I sent is still the debug 
version. Connect to NTK and take a screen shot. See if it is verbose 
(otherwise, it is verbose only to Hammer or Newtsbug). If it is, keep 
it plugged. This may help me to find where the problem is until I get 
my Newton back.

Regards,

Paul
-- 
Attention, nouvelle adresse.
New address, please update.

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V1 #8
************************

</x-charset>