Subject: npds Digest V1 #6

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 03:20:55 +0200 (CEST)

<x-charset x-mac-text>------------------------------------
npds Digest	Thu, 19 Oct 2000	Volume: 01  Issue: 006

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] .nsd.nsd fix?
		[NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?
		[NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?
		[NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?
		[NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?
		[NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 19 Oct 2000 16:43:49 EDT
From: [email-masked] (Charles P. Daghlian)
Subject: [NPDS] .nsd.nsd fix?

Hello,

Am I the only one having trouble with the note-search call in NPDS? When I use
it on my site (paleonews.dartmouth.edu), I get a page returned with links to
notes , but the links have  an .nsd.nsd ending (like this:
/html/-183691048$45.nsd.nsd). 

Obviously the script is appending an extra .nsd. Is there an easy way to fix
this? 

In trying to keep  NPDS  going for as long as possible, I am slowly remioving
(or freezing) lots of other packages. Still there are the occasional mystery
freezes with no solution other than a complete power off, battery out, cards out
rest period as fix. The EntryUndoChanges call still occasionally causes trouble,
but less so now that I have frozen X-Port Custom.

On a related note, does anyone know how to convert a list of names and addresses
to Names format? I have used X-Port with limited success. The file was put away
to names, but with the name being as much as three lines of the file. Searched
in NPDS, the information is returned ok, but the formatting is a bit off.

Regards,

Chuck
********************************************
Charles P. Daghlian, Ph. D.
Director, Rippel E. M. Facility
7605 Remsen
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH 03755
603-646-1039 / FAX 603-650-1637
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~emczar/
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~daghlian/paleo/
********************************************

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:33:07 -0700
Subject: [NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?
From: "Josh Burker" <nospam_Josh_Burker_at_misd.wednet_dot_edu>

[email-masked] writes:
>Hello,
>
>Am I the only one having trouble with the note-search call in NPDS? When
>I use
>it on my site (paleonews.dartmouth.edu), I get a page returned with links
>to
>notes , but the links have  an .nsd.nsd ending (like this:
>/html/-183691048$45.nsd.nsd). 

No, I'm experiencing it too.  Paul says it will be fixed in his next
release.

Josh Burker

------------------------------

From: "Filmer, Paul E" <nospam_pfilmer_at_nsf_dot_gov>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:01:14 -0400

I get an internal server error message very often when I call the
<NOTE_LIST> SSI - but the server survives and can still serve any other page
that does not have this included.  What is interesting is that it does not
occur _every_ time - yesterday I was able to use this SSI with no problem.
I have never seen the .nsd.nsd problem, but perhaps this is what is causing
an internal error?  (Strange that it would behave so differently on
different machines...)

This new build of Paul's is not quite as stable as the old one (that's the
price of the bleeding edge...) - my record for staying up without a freeze
is about five to six hours (and that's without running RemoteCam, which
brings the performance down into the ten to twenty minute range...).  I
reckon that almost half of the hits are not resolved, either, and don't make
it into the log.

But dang that new pGIFServer is nice!

My Newton Server (if I'm plugged in!): http://128.150.102.46

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Josh Burker [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> 
> No, I'm experiencing it too.  Paul says it will be fixed in his next
> release.
> 
> Josh Burker

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:51:22 -0700
Subject: [NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?
From: "Josh Burker" <nospam_Josh_Burker_at_misd.wednet_dot_edu>

[email-masked] writes:
>
>But dang that new pGIFServer is nice!

Sho' 'nuff!

Josh Burker

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:12:02 -0500
From: John Solon <nospam_jjsolon_at_facstaff.wisc_dot_edu>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?

>I get an internal server error message very often when I call the
><NOTE_LIST> SSI - but the server survives and can still serve any other page

Doesn't seem to be an issue with <NOTE_TABLE> or <POST_TABLE>, fwiw...

Cheers 'n' later... JOhn

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is
constantly making exciting discoveries."  A.A. Milne.

http://deva.engr.wisc.edu
(M-F, 9AM-3PM, often earlier; sometimes later)

------------------------------

From: "Filmer, Paul E" <nospam_pfilmer_at_nsf_dot_gov>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:14:18 -0400

Hmm!  I should have mentioned that I have never been able to get those two
SSIs to work, ever!

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	John Solon [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> 
> >I get an internal server error message very often when I call the
> ><NOTE_LIST> SSI - but the server survives and can still serve any other
> page
> 
> Doesn't seem to be an issue with <NOTE_TABLE> or <POST_TABLE>, fwiw...
> 
> Cheers 'n' later... JOhn

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 23:50:23 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?

>  >Am I the only one having trouble with the note-search call in NPDS? When
>>I use
>>it on my site (paleonews.dartmouth.edu), I get a page returned with links
>>to
>>notes , but the links have  an .nsd.nsd ending (like this:
>>/html/-183691048$45.nsd.nsd).
>
>No, I'm experiencing it too.  Paul says it will be fixed in his next
>release.

This is a known bug. Sorry folks, I haven't a lot of spare time, and 
when I do, I work on the ATA driver. Anyway, this is a known bug, 
probably already in the previous versions of NPDS.

Additionnally, there is the EntryUndoChanges stuff. I thought I 
removed them all but I forgot this one. It is strictly useless and 
even causes bug.

>I get an internal server error message very often when I call the
><NOTE_LIST> SSI - but the server survives and can still serve any other page
>that does not have this included.  What is interesting is that it does not
>occur _every_ time - yesterday I was able to use this SSI with no problem.

Umm. Such behavior means hard to track bugs.
I believe there is something wrong with your notes.

>I have never seen the .nsd.nsd problem, but perhaps this is what is causing
>an internal error?  (Strange that it would behave so differently on
>different machines...)

This is at the origin of no internal error. This should occur on all 
MPs. It is in the notes search results.

>This new build of Paul's is not quite as stable as the old one (that's the
>price of the bleeding edge...) - my record for staying up without a freeze
>is about five to six hours (and that's without running RemoteCam, which
>brings the performance down into the ten to twenty minute range...).  I
>reckon that almost half of the hits are not resolved, either, and don't make
>it into the log.

Hits are always counted.
The problem comes from the fact that NPDS wasn't written to support 
several connections at the same time. With a hack of the TCP Server 
itself, I enabled this feature, but this causes a lot of bugs.

You can increase the lifetime of the Newton by deactivating the 
reverse DNS feature. (not perfect, but usually enough).

To fix that, I have to rewrite the whole core of NPDS. I have started 
that, it won't take too long.

Regards,

Paul
-- 
Attention, nouvelle adresse.
New address, please update.

------------------------------

Date: 19 Oct 2000 20:23:38 EDT
From: [email-masked] (Charles P. Daghlian)
Subject: [NPDS] Re: .nsd.nsd fix?

--- You wrote:
This is a known bug. Sorry folks, I haven't a lot of spare time, and 
when I do, I work on the ATA driver.
--- end of quote ---
Paul,

I didn't mean to imply you are not a hard worker. If it gets taken care of
sometime, that's good enough for me. The ATA driver will be nice, too.

I just got another MP2100, so I will be stripping down the stuff on the NPDS MP
to maximize its stability (assuming other packages may cause problems,too).

Chuck

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V1 #6
************************

</x-charset>