Subject: npds Digest V1 #16

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:18:35 +0100 (CET)

<x-charset x-mac-text>------------------------------------
npds Digest	Mon, 08 Jan 2001	Volume: 01  Issue: 016

In This Issue:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 07:49:45 -0800
Subject: [NPDS] Re(2): NTLK NPDS Help
From: "Josh Burker" <nospam_Josh_Burker_at_misd.wednet_dot_edu>

[email-masked] writes:
>Hi Josh,
>Thanks for your response!  Still pulling my hair out trying to get NPDS
>up.
>My Newt is assigned a dynamic address (DHCP) from my router.  I think you
>are saying to give Newt a static address, is that right?  I have a Netgear
>RT311 router, I have telneted into it's setup ("SUA Server Setup") and
>told
>it port 80 should point to my newt (i think).  Still no luck accessing
>NPDS
>from the outside though.  Also, I am not sure exactly which url to use
>when
>trying to access from outside.  Any other help would be MUCH appreciated
>if
>your time permits of course.
>
>Thx
>Charles Lewis

Let's see if we can puzzle this one out (I'm also cc'ing this to the NPDS
mailing list).

If there is any way to configure your router so you have assigned IP
addresses, that's the easiest way to deal with trickier networking issues
like we have here.  For instance, in my old home network I assigned my
Newton the address 192.168.0.4.  That is a non-routing IP address:  the
router will not pass that IP address into the outside world.  The router
uses Network Address Translation (NAT) to route any requested information
from the real IP address to this non-routed IP address.

If you cannot turn off DHCP or would prefer not to, that's fine, too.  The
IP addresses that the DHCP server built into your router offers are
probably non-routing, too, and you'll find that your various computers
behind the router will tend to pick up the same IP addresses if you pay
attention over time.  

The big thing is that you have your router configured to allow information
on port 80 (or 8080) to be forwarded through the router to whatever
computer is serving web pages.  You probably shouldn't have multiple
servers running behind the router unless you can specifically configure
your NAT to forward to specific IP addresses (again, the need for fixed IP
addresses).

That done, you might have to go into your NPDS Tracker Client and specify
the IP address that you want your Newton to register with the Tracker. 
This would be the IP address assigned to you by your ISP (not the
DHCP-issued address for your Newton, nor the 192.168.x.x address, if you
assign one).  Since you're behind the router, probably using NAT, if you
bring NPDS up and register with the Tracker, the Newton will try to
register its assigned IP address, which in this case might be a non-routed
address.  Nobody can visit you if your IP address is 192.168.x.x or any of
the other non-routed IP addresses.

Even though you aren't running a huge server behind your router, keep in
mind @home doesn't want people running any servers on their cable lines.

I miss my Newton....

Josh Burker

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V1 #16
*************************

</x-charset>