Subject: npds Digest V1 #14

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 03:22:21 +0100 (CET)

<x-charset x-mac-text>------------------------------------
npds Digest	Tue, 28 Nov 2000	Volume: 01  Issue: 014

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] SSI
		[NPDS] Re: SSI
		[NPDS] Re: SSI
		[NPDS] Re: SSI

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:10 -0800
From: "Josh Burker" <nospam_josh_burker_at_misd.wednet_dot_edu>
Subject: [NPDS] SSI

Hello all:

I've been running my NPDS server for a while now and I love the power of the SSI support that Matt Vaugh built into nHTTPd. I have also learned quite a bit about the supported SSI from Matt's <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/LightyearMedia/NPDS/4AAMagazine/">4AA Magazine</a> as well as the online <a href=" http://homepage.mac.com/LightyearMedia/NPDS/">NPDS</a> documentation. However, I know that there are a few SSIs that are not documented (for instance, the one that takes the poster's email address and puts it at the end of their post) or perhaps it's CGI that's doing the work (I'm new to this).

Paul Filmer and the aforementioned resources have gotten me started on a serious lust for more SSI on my web server. Can some helpful individual help fill in some of the gaps in the documentation and help a serious geek spiff out his Newton web server? Of particular interest would be a means of collecting the poster's email address (this is already part of the NotePad server but I don't know how) so I could have the server, again using SSI or CGI (whatever it takes), generate a short thank you letter to be sent to the poster.

Thanks for any information,

Josh Burker

Sent from a Newton MessagePad 2100
SimpleMail 4.1.3
- Ink Different! -

------------------------------

Date: 28 Nov 2000 11:56:48 EST
From: [email-masked] (Charles P. Daghlian)
Subject: [NPDS] Re: SSI

--- You wrote:
Of particular interest would be a means of collecting the poster's email address
(this is already part of the NotePad server but I don't know how) so I could
have the server, again using SSI or CGI (whatever it takes), generate a short
thank you letter to be sent to the poster.
--- end of quote ---
This would be nice.

I find that I cannot keep my server going for more than about 24 hours without a
lockup. I have tried turning off tracking, logging, etc, but have not found any
clear reason for the problems. How long can others keep their NPDS online
without having to restart?

Chuck
********************************************
Charles P. Daghlian, Ph. D.
Director, Rippel E. M. Facility
7605 Remsen
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH 03755
603-646-1039 / FAX 603-650-1637
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~emczar/
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~daghlian/paleo/
********************************************

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:55:35 -0800
Subject: [NPDS] Re: SSI
From: "Josh Burker" <nospam_Josh_Burker_at_misd.wednet_dot_edu>

[email-masked] writes:
>--- You wrote:
>Of particular interest would be a means of collecting the poster's email
>address
>(this is already part of the NotePad server but I don't know how) so I
>could
>have the server, again using SSI or CGI (whatever it takes), generate a
>short
>thank you letter to be sent to the poster.
>--- end of quote ---
>This would be nice.
>
>I find that I cannot keep my server going for more than about 24 hours
>without a
>lockup. I have tried turning off tracking, logging, etc, but have not
>found any
>clear reason for the problems. How long can others keep their NPDS online
>without having to restart?
>
>Chuck

It seems to vary from day to day.  Yesterday, for instance, I ran it all
day without it locking up at all.  However, I didn't have much traffic. 
Paul, any insight?

Josh Burker

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:52:12 +0100
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: SSI

>  >How long can others keep their NPDS online
>  >without having to restart?

I was able to leave it for several days by disabling the reverse DNS 
feature and by setting the latency to 7 seconds.

>It seems to vary from day to day.  Yesterday, for instance, I ran it all
>day without it locking up at all.  However, I didn't have much traffic.
>Paul, any insight?

It's a known bug. Sorry folks, I cannot work on it without my Newton.

Regards,

Paul
-- 
http://www.kallisys.com/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:09:32 +0100
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: SSI

>I know that there are a few SSIs that are not documented (for 
>instance, the one that takes the poster's email address and puts it 
>at the end of their post)

I don't remember exactly (no time to look at the source right now) 
but I think this is not a SSI, just the normal behavior. (I modified 
that to add a link).

>or perhaps it's CGI that's doing the work (I'm new to this).

OK, there are two different things. It's not a CGI since CGI means 
Common Gateway Interface. Common Gateway Interface is based on old 
rusty technology ( from the 70's) called Unix. Nobody uses it anymore 
like Cobol except in some very particular cases. (Cobol is still used 
in many French chemistries, although this is changing).

SSI is a more general term.

NPDS has two kind of active pages.
In fact, all pages are active. They are processed by modules, and all 
modules get the data from soups or predifined pages. NotesServ takes 
the data from the Notes soup, and as you probably noticed, translates 
text to HTML (yes, I planned to add styles and even images as Victor 
suggested).
NotesServ also defines the WhiteBoard to create new notes. Instead of 
looking into the Notes soup, NotesServ processes the page.

SSIs works at the server level (surprising with such a name, isn't it?).
The interface doesn't look like usual SSIs. Instead, you define a 
SGML tag without parameter (yes, I planned to add parameters) that 
generates some text and can in fact do anything else.

You can define SSIs in the Script Editor coming with NPDS. There are 
SSIs defined by modules, too.
SSIs takes a parameter which is undocumented. Please don't rely on it 
as I planned to change it.

>Paul Filmer and the aforementioned resources have gotten me started 
>on a serious lust for more SSI on my web server. Can some helpful 
>individual help fill in some of the gaps in the documentation and 
>help a serious geek spiff out his Newton web server?

Paul Filmer made great SSIs like the domain collecting.

>Of particular interest would be a means of collecting the poster's 
>email address (this is already part of the NotePad server but I 
>don't know how) so I could have the server, again using SSI or CGI 
>(whatever it takes), generate a short thank you letter to be sent to 
>the poster.

I think this is not simple to do, at least with the current 
architecture of NPDS. It will be much more natural with some changes 
I planned.

Indeed, the poster address is added because the poster puts the address.

I have an idea, though. You cannot know when the form is filled and processed.
However, you can register a handler when a new note is added. If you 
only register such a handler, you may have problems if the note is 
moved from one store to another. There are several solutions. One of 
them is that with a SSI, you can get called whenever a page (you 
designed) is viewed. So, if the user clicked the home link once a 
note is posted, and if there was 2 hits since the last note was added 
and if this note is a note the visitor wrote, you can send him a 
mail. Believe me, it's not very simple.

Now, I have planned to define templates pages in Matt's modules. If 
the template is defined in the NotesSoup, the server will use it 
instead of the default page. This way, you will be able to change the 
link a little bit and add your SSI there. I will consider your 
problem when defining that.

Regards,

Paul
-- 
http://www.kallisys.com/

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V1 #14
*************************

</x-charset>