Subject: npds Digest V2 #26

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 03:11:42 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Sat, 19 May 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 026

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Matt's tracker down again
		[NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again
		[NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again
		[NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again
		[NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again
		[NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again
		[NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again
		[NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 08:39:51 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Matt's tracker down again

Hi all,

It's been a long time since Matt's tracker was last down. It's the 
case right now. The port 2110 is closed.

BTW, Matt, I noticed that the tracker.cgi cgi doesn't send any header 
so lynx refuses to display the page and w3m doesn't interpret the 
page. If you could please fix that, it would be great.

Victor, can we expect eddie running the tracker again? Or shall we 
look for another host?

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 07:49:39 -0500
From: Matthew Vaughn <nospam_mwvaugh_at_life.uiuc_dot_edu>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again

I'll re-boot it when I go to the lab. However, we need to have a small 
discussion regarding the tracker service I've willingly provided for the 
last couple of years.

<FINGERS CROSSED>I'm finally getting my doctorate and leaving at the end 
of July</FINGERS CROSSED>.

I don't know where I'm going, but it's not likely that I'll have a fleet 
of computers where I have enough free reign to run my own server. I can, 
perhaps, leave the tracker running for a while back at U of Illinois, 
but eventually my old lab is going to want to shut it down.

So, we need to find someone who can run either the Java version of the 
tracker (which I would prefer since it's cross-platform) or my strictly 
Macintosh-based one.
I'm not 100% out of the running as far as providing the service goes, 
but I can't promise anything at this point. So the question becomes "If 
Matt Vaughn was hit by a bus, who would host the tracker?"

Cheers,

Matt

On Saturday, May 19, 2001, at 01:39 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's been a long time since Matt's tracker was last down. It's the case 
> right now. The port 2110 is closed.
>
> BTW, Matt, I noticed that the tracker.cgi cgi doesn't send any header 
> so lynx refuses to display the page and w3m doesn't interpret the page. 
> If you could please fix that, it would be great.
>
> Victor, can we expect eddie running the tracker again? Or shall we look 
> for another host?
>
> Paul
> -- Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
> Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/
>
> [NPDS Mailing List: To unsubscribe: mailto:npds-
> [email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe]
>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 14:04:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Matthew Vaughn wrote:

> I'll re-boot it when I go to the lab. However, we need to have a small 
> discussion regarding the tracker service I've willingly provided for the 
> last couple of years.
> 
> <FINGERS CROSSED>I'm finally getting my doctorate and leaving at the end 
> of July</FINGERS CROSSED>.
> 
> I don't know where I'm going, but it's not likely that I'll have a fleet 
> of computers where I have enough free reign to run my own server. I can, 
> perhaps, leave the tracker running for a while back at U of Illinois, 
> but eventually my old lab is going to want to shut it down.
> 
> So, we need to find someone who can run either the Java version of the 
> tracker (which I would prefer since it's cross-platform) or my strictly 
> Macintosh-based one.
> I'm not 100% out of the running as far as providing the service goes, 
> but I can't promise anything at this point. So the question becomes "If 
> Matt Vaughn was hit by a bus, who would host the tracker?"

I don't know when eddie is going to get fixed.  What happened was that it
got rebuilt with a new system drive and a fresh install of FreeBSD 4.1,
which seems to have broken java for some reason.

Right now, I've brought back my other NPDS server, which is running on
misato.chuma.org port 2110.  I will keep this one up, but it's on a less
reliable net connection than eddie (cable modem vs. University T3s)

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 13:17:38 -0600
From: Grant Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Matthew Vaughn typed vigorously:

>So, we need to find someone who can run either the Java version of the 
>tracker (which I would prefer since it's cross-platform) or my strictly 
>Macintosh-based one.

How much overhead does the tracker need in terms of RAM and Mhz? I could 
either host it on the same Powermac 9500 that I have IPNetRouter and 
QuickDNS on, or I could potentially resurrect one of the 6100's I have in 
the basement and have the tracker run on it. What would be ideal is if 
the tracker could be monitored using PageSentry or Rebound! and then 
restarted automatically if it ever went kerflunky.

Grant

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 23:04:15 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again

>How much overhead does the tracker need in terms of RAM and Mhz?

Depends on which tracker server you're talking about.
Matt's tracker seems to be rather light, but it needs to be fixed as 
it goes down on a regular basis :-)
Victor's tracker is in Java and this means it requires quite a lot of 
CPU on MacOS.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 17:04:48 -0500
From: Matt Vaughn <nospam_matt.vaughn_at_mindspring_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again

The Mac-only version runs well on a Powermac 7200 with 48 M of RAM. 
Actually, the program itself only requires 2 megs of RAM and just a few 
MHz. The HTTP server capacity can be furnished by any Mac web server 
that handles apple event CGIs. I host the tracker using Personal Web 
Sharing, for instance.

Now, the Java version requires about 8 M of RAM and again, the same PM 
7200/90 MHz actually ran it quite well. I don't have as much experience 
with it but I was able to package an early version of Victor's tracker 
code into a Mac app and it substituted OK for a few days.

Matt

On Saturday, May 19, 2001, at 02:17 PM, Grant Hutchinson wrote:

> In a previous message, Matthew Vaughn typed vigorously:
>
>> So, we need to find someone who can run either the Java version of the
>> tracker (which I would prefer since it's cross-platform) or my strictly
>> Macintosh-based one.
>
> How much overhead does the tracker need in terms of RAM and Mhz? I could
> either host it on the same Powermac 9500 that I have IPNetRouter and
> QuickDNS on, or I could potentially resurrect one of the 6100's I have 
> in
> the basement and have the tracker run on it. What would be ideal is if
> the tracker could be monitored using PageSentry or Rebound! and then
> restarted automatically if it ever went kerflunky.
>
> Grant
>
> ......................................................................
>
> Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys
>
> Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
> Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
> Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/
>
>
>
> [NPDS Mailing List: To unsubscribe: mailto:npds-
> [email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe]
>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 17:05:51 -0500
From: Matt Vaughn <nospam_matt.vaughn_at_mindspring_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again

Now that I think about it, the Java version runs like a dream on MacOS X 
with little overhead. Just so you know..

Matt

On Saturday, May 19, 2001, at 02:17 PM, Grant Hutchinson wrote:

> In a previous message, Matthew Vaughn typed vigorously:
>
>> So, we need to find someone who can run either the Java version of the
>> tracker (which I would prefer since it's cross-platform) or my strictly
>> Macintosh-based one.
>
> How much overhead does the tracker need in terms of RAM and Mhz? I could
> either host it on the same Powermac 9500 that I have IPNetRouter and
> QuickDNS on, or I could potentially resurrect one of the 6100's I have 
> in
> the basement and have the tracker run on it. What would be ideal is if
> the tracker could be monitored using PageSentry or Rebound! and then
> restarted automatically if it ever went kerflunky.
>
> Grant
>
> ......................................................................
>
> Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys
>
> Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
> Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
> Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/
>
>
>
> [NPDS Mailing List: To unsubscribe: mailto:npds-
> [email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe]
>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 00:40:13 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again

>I don't have as much experience with it but I was able to package an 
>early version of Victor's tracker code into a Mac app and it 
>substituted OK for a few days.

I compiled it without any trouble using CodeWarrior. I can do it 
again, I still have the project somewhere (the tracker comes as a 
single source file, so it's pretty easy to compile, much easier than 
Waba apps for the Newton :-)

However, when running on this G3/233 with CodeWarrior and a couple 
(say 20) other applications, it really slows down the machine 
(especially during checks). If you don't use the machine, it's ok. If 
you do, you'd better have a stronger unit or run a Unix as MRJ is so 
slow and big.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 16:52:39 -0600
From: Grant Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Paul Guyot mentioned:

>However, when running on this G3/233 with CodeWarrior and a couple 
>(say 20) other applications, it really slows down the machine 
>(especially during checks). If you don't use the machine, it's ok. If 
>you do, you'd better have a stronger unit or run a Unix as MRJ is so 
>slow and big.

If the Java version is more stable, I would be willing to run a headless 
6100 with the just the tracker.cgi and MacHTTP 2.4b3. I can easily give 
the box decent amount of RAM by cannibalizing some of my other in stasis 
machines. I have to put all this old hardware to use somehow...

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 00:57:29 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Matt's tracker down again

>If the Java version is more stable, I would be willing to run a headless
>6100 with the just the tracker.cgi and MacHTTP 2.4b3.

You don't need MacHTTP 2.4b3.
The Java version is a standalone HTTP 1.0 (er, even less I think) 
server on port 2110.

BTW, if you want to register on misato (so I'm not feeling lonely) 
http://misato.chuma.org:2110, just do as for Victor's tracker (eddie) 
but replace eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca by misato.chuma.org.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #26
*************************