Subject: npds Digest V2 #70

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 03:11:13 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Fri, 14 Sep 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 070

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Tracker client trick?
		[NPDS] Re: Tracker client trick?
		[NPDS] Re: Tracker client trick?
		[NPDS] NPDS Bugs (still snacking)
		[NPDS] Re: Tracker client trick?
		[NPDS] Re: Tracker client trick?
		[NPDS] Re: NPDS Bugs (still snacking)
		[NPDS] Re: NPDS Bugs (still snacking)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 02:06:03 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Tracker client trick?

O.K. guys (the non gender reference),

What is the trick to having your Tracker Client automatically register
with Matt's AND Victor's Tracker servers?

I can't find any option to in version 2.035........

--
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

From: "Filmer, Paul E." <nospam_pfilmer_at_nsf_dot_gov>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Tracker client trick?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:30:03 -0400

It's done manually at the moment, although there do exist options on the
tracker end for checking each other.  Nothing automatic within NPDS itself
at the moment.

Paul F.

> -----Original Message-----
> Sent:	Friday, September 14, 2001 3:06 AM
> 
> O.K. guys (the non gender reference),
> 
> What is the trick to having your Tracker Client automatically register
> with Matt's AND Victor's Tracker servers?
> 
> I can't find any option to in version 2.035........
> 
> John Skinner

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:52:46 -0500
From: Matt Vaughn <nospam_matt.vaughn_at_mindspring_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Tracker client trick?

The reason there's no way to do in under NPDS is that the guys who run 
trackers are supposed to set up sharing of server lists between themselves.
  The Tracker protocol makes specific provisions for this sharing and as 
far as I know, Victor's tracker DOES support it. Mine, however, does not. 
If we can get two Java trackers running (for redundancy) then servers 
listed on one should be listed on the other.

Matt

On Friday, September 14, 2001, at 08:30  AM, Filmer, Paul E. wrote:

> It's done manually at the moment, although there do exist options on the
> tracker end for checking each other.  Nothing automatic within NPDS itself
> at the moment.
>
> Paul F.

------------------------------

From: "Filmer, Paul E." <nospam_pfilmer_at_nsf_dot_gov>
Subject: [NPDS] NPDS Bugs (still snacking)
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:22:10 -0400

Register on a tracker (or two).

Wait for the tracker to come by an click you, verify that the icon has
changed to an MP with the "T" in the screen.

Minimize to the star.

Reopen - observe that the icon shows that you are no longer tracked (even
though you are listed on the tracker).

Similarly, the drop down of hosts will often show "No New Hosts" when it had
previously shown a list before minimization.

Preferred behaviour for the drop down: Simply list the last 5 - 10 - 15
(option?) hosts, regardless of resets.

Paul F.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:25:24 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Tracker client trick?

>The reason there's no way to do in under NPDS is that the guys who 
>run trackers are supposed to set up sharing of server lists between 
>themselves.
>  The Tracker protocol makes specific provisions for this sharing and 
>as far as I know, Victor's tracker DOES support it. Mine, however, 
>does not. If we can get two Java trackers running (for redundancy) 
>then servers listed on one should be listed on the other.

Indeed. Victor has been doing tests, and the sharing commands he 
implemented works pretty well. Apparently, he's been working on 
newted, so we may have two trackers up soon.

The client doesn't support double registration because it's not worth 
the effort as Matt's tracker is up for a limited time. Besides, it 
has several bugs in it, it's not open source (and even if it was, it 
has been written in REALBasic which only Matt has and knows) so we 
can't fix them (anyway, apparently problems such as the DNS caching 
thing seem to come from REALBasic runtime). Therefore the only 
supported tracker server is the Java one (there was the same painful 
DNS caching problem in the runtime, but Victor fixed it by installing 
Java 1.2).

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:33:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Tracker client trick?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Paul Guyot wrote:

> Indeed. Victor has been doing tests, and the sharing commands he 
> implemented works pretty well. Apparently, he's been working on 
> newted, so we may have two trackers up soon.

Newted is not going to be running a Java Runtime anytime soon.

And NewtonTalk is down, yes I know...

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:37:02 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS Bugs (still snacking)

>Wait for the tracker to come by an click you, verify that the icon has
>changed to an MP with the "T" in the screen.

Wow, I ignored this feature of NPDS. I probably broke it with my 
various hacks :-/

>Similarly, the drop down of hosts will often show "No New Hosts" when it had
>previously shown a list before minimization.
>
>Preferred behaviour for the drop down: Simply list the last 5 - 10 - 15
>(option?) hosts, regardless of resets.

I'm open to suggestions here for NPDS 3.0.

As I wrote, I won't fix any bug but maybe the exception thing in the 
watcher (but Paul, do you have BugTrap to log exceptions inside Try 
Catch? if so, please change this setting to ignore them) and the UP 
button in the tracker client.

I prefer not to talk about the advancement of NPDS 3.0, but I really 
want to change my Newton website, and NPDS 2.x doesn't support well 
more than one picture on a page (cf John's home page), if you see 
what I mean - also, Grant will bug me if I don't release a native 
HTTP client soon :) - to be used in the WebPager 3.0 among others.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:41:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS Bugs (still snacking)

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Paul Guyot wrote:

> I prefer not to talk about the advancement of NPDS 3.0, but I really 
> want to change my Newton website, and NPDS 2.x doesn't support well 
> more than one picture on a page (cf John's home page), if you see 
> what I mean - also, Grant will bug me if I don't release a native 
> HTTP client soon :) - to be used in the WebPager 3.0 among others.

How about recognizing Mozilla/Netscape 6 as a valid browser to send CSS
to?

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Tracker client trick?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:34:49 -0600
From: "Grant [Agape] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Victor Rehorst typed forlorn:

>Newted is not going to be running a Java Runtime anytime soon.

Is this because there isn't a reliable JDK that will run on MIPS? Did you 
look into that port Kaffe? I'm going to have to break down and invest in 
that elusive rack-mount OS X server aren't I?

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS Bugs (still snacking)
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:54:05 -0600
From: "Grant [Agape] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Paul Guyot typed vigorously:

>also, Grant will bug me if I don't
>release a native HTTP client soon :)

Oh sure, put it all on my shoulders... :)

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #70
*************************