Subject: npds Digest V2 #82

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:12:04 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Fri, 19 Oct 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 082

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Server will not respond!!
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 02:25:30 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Server will not respond!!

I am going crazy now!

My NPDS server will not allow any browser to connect! It returns a
"Connection was refused by the server. The server may not be accepting
connections or may be too busy. Try connecting again later."

I have done 2 complete brain wipes, and have only installed fresh new
packages from http://npds.free.fr/ of all the latest versions.

I did do a restore with NCU of ONLY the Notes which had my custom HTML
page.

I give up!
Anybody ever experienced this, or know how to fix it?

P.S. is it possible for the Newton to view it's own web site with a
local browser? (example: http://127.0.0.1)
--
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
email = [email-masked]
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Giving your tracker a kick?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:31:33 -0600
From: Grant Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

We interrupt this extremely quiet mailing list to bring you the following 
announcement. Please note that Matt's RealBasic tracker is not accepting 
registrations at the moment and would benefit from a short, swift kick in 
the pants. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Ah, that feels better.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:35:26 -0600
From: Grant [Postage Paid] Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, John Skinner typed vigorously:

>My NPDS server will not allow any browser to connect! It returns a
>"Connection was refused by the server. The server may not be accepting
>connections or may be too busy. Try connecting again later."

When you did the brainwipe, you would have nuked all of the NPDS settings 
as well. Check the NPDS prefs under "Admin" and crank the "Latency" way 
down (I use a setting somewhere between 600 and 800). If I recall 
correctly, when I first started using NPDS, the default latency setting 
was way too high to properly handle local (same LAN) connections to the 
server.

Can anyone verify this?

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:14:01 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

>Check the NPDS prefs under "Admin" and crank the "Latency" way
>down (I use a setting somewhere between 600 and 800). If I recall
>correctly, when I first started using NPDS, the default latency setting
>was way too high to properly handle local (same LAN) connections to the
>server.

Huh?

The latency has strictly no effect on the *first* connection to the 
server. It's the time to wait before closing the connection after the 
last byte has been sent.
The thing is that Matt didn't know how to find out when writing 
operation was completed (I'm not sure this can be done with NS 
Endpoints, but it's of course feasible with C++ endpoints), hence 
this latency.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:17:12 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

>My NPDS server will not allow any browser to connect! It returns a
>"Connection was refused by the server. The server may not be accepting
>connections or may be too busy. Try connecting again later."

Since you can't connect at all, this is probably a problem of port or 
of IP (you're not connecting to the proper IP) or of routing.

>I did do a restore with NCU of ONLY the Notes which had my custom HTML
>page.

This isn't involved at all. What you have is that your browser 
attempts to open a connection to a machine (let's say it's your 
Newton, i.e. the IP is correct) and this machine says: no, port is 
closed.

>P.S. is it possible for the Newton to view it's own web site with a
>local browser? (example: http://127.0.0.1)

I thought this wasn't possible until I realized that in fact, it's 
just 127.0.0.1 which doesn't work. If your Newton IP is X.Y.Z.T, 
http://X.Y.Z.T/ or http://X.Y.Z.T:port/ will work in NetHopper (not 
sure for Newtscape, but there is no reason that it wouldn't work).

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:51:27 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

Paul Guyot wrote:
> Since you can't connect at all, this is probably a problem of port or
> of IP (you're not connecting to the proper IP) or of routing.
> 
Well I can ping it from any other computer on the network, so I know
it's not a routing issue.

> This isn't involved at all. What you have is that your browser
> attempts to open a connection to a machine (let's say it's your
> Newton, i.e. the IP is correct) and this machine says: no, port is
> closed.

Well I know my NPDS server is set to be serving on port 80
 
I just tried rebooting my newton, then starting up NPDS server again.

When I start the server after a reboot, I can connect to it from another
computer for about 1 sec.
Then all tries fail.

Any ideas?..

John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
email = [email-masked]
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:44:47 -0600
From: "Grant [Postage Paid] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Paul Guyot typed vigorously:

>>Check the NPDS prefs under "Admin" and crank the "Latency" way
>>down (I use a setting somewhere between 600 and 800). If I recall
>>correctly, when I first started using NPDS, the default latency setting
>>was way too high to properly handle local (same LAN) connections to the
>>server.
>
>Huh?
>
>The latency has strictly no effect on the *first* connection to the 
>server. It's the time to wait before closing the connection after the 
>last byte has been sent.

Of course you're correct Paul. Silly me. The latency setting was the 
first thing that sprang into my head when I read "Connection was refused 
by the server". Latency caused me no end of connection problems when I 
first started tinkering with NPDS.

>>P.S. is it possible for the Newton to view it's own web site with a
>>local browser? (example: http://127.0.0.1)
>
>I thought this wasn't possible until I realized that in fact, it's 
>just 127.0.0.1 which doesn't work. If your Newton IP is X.Y.Z.T, 
>http://X.Y.Z.T/ or http://X.Y.Z.T:port/ will work in NetHopper (not 
>sure for Newtscape, but there is no reason that it wouldn't work).

I have never been able to get Newts cape to work this way. I always get 
"A communication problem occured..." messages.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:39:55 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

I couldn't get NetHopper to display the web server either.

I have double checked all the settings: IP address, port number, cleared
the cache and rebooted and even made sure there were no soups from any
old setups of NPDS. I erased all my cards! And now I'm right back where
I was before I erased everything.

It isn't anything like,.. the NPDS packages have to all be on the
internal store...   or anything, huh?

I don't think it matters, but I will try anything at this point.

I guess I do a brian wipe and load a previous version back on and try it.

-- 
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
email = [email-masked]
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:00:20 -0700
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
From: Josh Burker <nospam_senorwences_at_mac_dot_com>

--Apple-Mail-3--544582929
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=WINDOWS-1252;	format=flowed

>
> I guess I do a brian wipe and load a previous version back on and try=20=

> it.
John, I feel for you.  I've been getting internal server errors on my=20
2100 quite frequently.  Perhaps it's time to fall back on the backup=20
Newton and take it off the more heavily loaded one; I did free up some=20=

heap by freezing packages, so I'll try it this weekend.

It sounds like you've done pretty much everything one could think to do,=20=

but you did not mention whether you have always done the following,=20
according to the NPDS manual:

"First, use your package installer of choice to install nHTTPd but do=20
not install the other components yet.
=95 Close your desktop connection, open the Extras drawer, then tap the=20=

the nHTTPd Icon to open it. This performs some initialization functions=20=

required for the rest of the NPDS System to function.
=95 Now use your package installer to load your choice of these plugins=20=

and extensions."

Could it be that you are installing all the components at once on a=20
freshly hard-reset Newton without first installing nHTTPd and letting it=20=

do it's initialization functions?

After this Brainwipe, load nHTTPd first, get it initialized, and then=20
load the most current packages back on; this is most useful for Paul and=20=

Adam and version 3.0 (which I await patiently).

I'll put my NPDS server online; let me know if this hint helped,

Josh Burker

--Apple-Mail-3--544582929
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/enriched; charset=WINDOWS-1252

<excerpt>

I guess I do a brian wipe and load a previous version back on and try
it.

</excerpt>John, I feel for you.  I've been getting internal server
errors on my 2100 quite frequently.  Perhaps it's time to fall back on
the backup Newton and take it off the more heavily loaded one; I did
free up some heap by freezing packages, so I'll try it this weekend.

It sounds like you've done pretty much everything one could think to
do, but you did not mention whether you have always done the
following, according to the NPDS manual:

"<fontfamily><param>Times</param>First, use your package installer of
choice to install nHTTPd but do not install the other components yet.=20

=95 Close your desktop connection, open the Extras drawer, then tap the
the nHTTPd Icon to open it. This performs some initialization
functions required for the rest of the NPDS System to function.=20

=95 Now use your package installer to load your choice of these plugins
and extensions."

</fontfamily>

Could it be that you are installing all the components at once on a
freshly hard-reset Newton without first installing nHTTPd and letting
it do it's initialization functions? =20

After this Brainwipe, load nHTTPd first, get it initialized, and then
load the most current packages back on; this is most useful for Paul
and Adam and version 3.0 (which I await patiently).

I'll put my NPDS server online; let me know if this hint helped,

Josh Burker<fontfamily><param>Times</param>

</fontfamily>

--Apple-Mail-3--544582929--

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:06:37 -0700
Subject: [NPDS] Trackers Down
From: Josh Burker <nospam_senorwences_at_mac_dot_com>

We know that Matt's tracker isn't registering Newtons, and now Victor's 
doesn't come up with the web page and the Newton doesn't want to 
register with it, either.

It's Friday evening PST:  time to start Servin'!!  And it's not a party 
unless people know where we're at!

Cheers,

Josh

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Trackers Down
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:16:51 -0600
From: "Grant [Postage Paid] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Josh Burker typed vigorously:

>We know that Matt's tracker isn't registering Newtons, and now Victor's 
>doesn't come up with the web page and the Newton doesn't want to 
>register with it, either.

Victor's tracker is back up again as of 5:15 MST.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:22:08 -0700
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Trackers Down
From: Josh Burker <nospam_senorwences_at_mac_dot_com>

On Friday, October 19, 2001, at 04:16 PM, Grant [Postage Paid] 
Hutchinson wrote:

> In a previous message, Josh Burker typed vigorously:
>
>> We know that Matt's tracker isn't registering Newtons, and now Victor's
>> doesn't come up with the web page and the Newton doesn't want to
>> register with it, either.
>
> Victor's tracker is back up again as of 5:15 MST.
>
> g.
>
Thanks!

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #82
*************************