Subject: npds Digest V2 #2

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:18:48 +0100 (CET)

<x-charset x-mac-text>------------------------------------
npds Digest	Thu, 18 Jan 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 002

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: Where to find the latest version of GIF Server?
		[NPDS] Re: Where to find the latest version of GIF Server?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Where to find the latest version of GIF Server?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:32:27 -0700
From: Grant [Stabilizing] Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

Hi Victor.

>I don't remember if Paul's C++ GIF Server was ever released for wide
>distribution: it's not perfectly stable, whereas the old one is.  It does
>do 16-greyscale GIFs though.  I have a copy, and I know some other NPDS
>testers have it.

That's the main reason I wanted to test it - greyscale.

I'm working on a way to automate the capture and serving of a series of 
screen dumps for documenting specific Newton processes and software use. 
Greyscale would make the end result much more pleasurable. If you could 
be so kind as to borrow me a copy, I will do my darndest to find a few 
bugs... :)

Thanks.

Grant

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:44:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Where to find the latest version of GIF Server?

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Grant [Stabilizing] Hutchinson wrote:

> >I don't remember if Paul's C++ GIF Server was ever released for wide
> >distribution: it's not perfectly stable, whereas the old one is.  It does
> >do 16-greyscale GIFs though.  I have a copy, and I know some other NPDS
> >testers have it.
> 
> That's the main reason I wanted to test it - greyscale.
> 
> I'm working on a way to automate the capture and serving of a series of 
> screen dumps for documenting specific Newton processes and software use. 
> Greyscale would make the end result much more pleasurable. If you could 
> be so kind as to borrow me a copy, I will do my darndest to find a few 
> bugs... :)

I don't seem to have a copy kicking around on my PeeCee anymore.  I'll try
and find some time to export it off of my Newton, but in the meantime Paul
might get you a copy faster than I can.

-------Victor Rehorst - [email-masked] | [email-masked]
-Secretary, College of Arts and CPES Student Councils, University of Guelph-
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:12:10 -0800
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Where to find the latest version of GIF Server?
From: "Josh Burker" <nospam_Josh_Burker_at_misd.wednet_dot_edu>

[email-masked] writes:
>On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Grant [Stabilizing] Hutchinson wrote:
>
>> >I don't remember if Paul's C++ GIF Server was ever released for wide
>> >distribution: it's not perfectly stable, whereas the old one is.  It
>does
>> >do 16-greyscale GIFs though.  I have a copy, and I know some other NPDS
>> >testers have it.
>> 
>> That's the main reason I wanted to test it - greyscale.
>> 
>> I'm working on a way to automate the capture and serving of a series of 
>> screen dumps for documenting specific Newton processes and software
>use. 
>> Greyscale would make the end result much more pleasurable. If you could 
>> be so kind as to borrow me a copy, I will do my darndest to find a few 
>> bugs... :)
>
>I don't seem to have a copy kicking around on my PeeCee anymore.  I'll try
>and find some time to export it off of my Newton, but in the meantime Paul
>might get you a copy faster than I can.

Before my Newton was stolen, I ran it nearly every day with Paul's
greyscale Gif Server.  He mailed it to me when I asked.  People would hit
the screen over and over some days, and I really didn't have much trouble
with it, except when I first started running it.  I think I trashed the
cache and all the prefs, reinstalled the GIF Server, and that solved the
problem.  No problems afterwards.

Grant, it's in the mail (on a separate message), if you haven't already
received a copy from Paul.  Test away!

I should be receiving a Newton 2000 in the mail shortly; unfortunately
I've changed jobs and am quite mobile nowadays.  My original Newton is in
the evidence locker until after the trial, in February, so maybe it'll be
back online someday in the future.

Josh Burker

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 07:44:38 +0100
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Where to find the latest version of GIF Server?

>A couple of months ago, John Clark was looking for the newest version of
>the GIF Server package. Was this ever posted to the NPDS download server?

AFAIK, Matt didn't post it to his website.
BTW, Matt is not on this list.

>Before my Newton was stolen, I ran it nearly every day with Paul's
>greyscale Gif Server.  He mailed it to me when I asked.  People would hit
>the screen over and over some days, and I really didn't have much trouble
>with it, except when I first started running it.  I think I trashed the
>cache and all the prefs, reinstalled the GIF Server, and that solved the
>problem.  No problems afterwards.

Please note that the current version is a debug version. I don't know 
about the possible problems it brings as the NPDS core is full of 
bugs.

>Grant, it's in the mail (on a separate message), if you haven't already
>received a copy from Paul.  Test away!

Alright, I understand I don't have to mail it to you.

>I should be receiving a Newton 2000 in the mail shortly

I wish I could receive my Newtons in the mail shortly. :-(

Paul
-- 
http://www.kallisys.com/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Where to find the latest version of GIF Server?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:14:37 -0700
From: Grant [Shorts In January] Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

On or about 17/01/2001 11:44 PM Paul Guyot wrote:

>AFAIK, Matt didn't post it to his website.
>BTW, Matt is not on this list.

I'll contact Matt separately, specifically about the redirects from the 
old version of his site.

>Please note that the current version is a debug version. I don't know 
>about the possible problems it brings as the NPDS core is full of 
>bugs.

I haven't run across anything so far today. It's stable, and wicked fast! 
Thanks for the information everyone.

>I wish I could receive my Newtons in the mail shortly. :-(

We're all pulling for you too, Paul. I can't imagine being Newtonless for 
so long.

Grant

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #2
************************

</x-charset>