Subject: npds Digest V2 #59

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 03:11:37 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Fri, 31 Aug 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 059

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: NPDS modules disappear from plug-ins menu?
		[NPDS] Re: NPDS modules disappear from plug-ins menu?
		[NPDS] Re: NPDS modules disappear from plug-ins menu?
		[NPDS] Admin post problem solved
		[NPDS] Re: Admin post problem solved

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] NPDS modules disappear from plug-ins menu?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:42:22 -0600
From: Grant Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

Hey gang, here's a bug.

I don't want people poking around my calendar or contacts. Even with the 
SSI tags removed from the home page, there are links to them on the 404 
page, so I deactivated the DateServ and CardServ modules by unchecking 
the "Active" box in Prefs. After doing this, the modules disappeared from 
the NPDS plug-ins menu and I cannot seem to reactivate them. Even after a 
reboot, these two modules do not appear in the menu. I haven't tried to 
reinstall them yet. 

I'm running the latest versions of everything.

Any suggestions?

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:46:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS modules disappear from plug-ins menu?

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Grant Hutchinson wrote:

> I don't want people poking around my calendar or contacts. Even with the 
> SSI tags removed from the home page, there are links to them on the 404 
> page, so I deactivated the DateServ and CardServ modules by unchecking 
> the "Active" box in Prefs. After doing this, the modules disappeared from 
> the NPDS plug-ins menu and I cannot seem to reactivate them. Even after a 
> reboot, these two modules do not appear in the menu. I haven't tried to 
> reinstall them yet. 

Go to Extras and tap on the modules.  Their prefs slips will appear.
Re-activate them and then they will be back in the NPDS plugins menu.

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

From: "Filmer, Paul E" <nospam_pfilmer_at_nsf_dot_gov>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS modules disappear from plug-ins menu?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:46:56 -0400

Have you tried to tap on their icons in Extras and reactivate them from
there (by checking the appropriate boxes)?

On another note:  I had success today with one admin-post, but now I get a
404 for all subsequent attempts... Dang! I thought I finally found a good
way to get stuff from my desktop into my server without e-mail or NCU -1
errors...

Paul F.

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Grant Hutchinson [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> 
> Hey gang, here's a bug.
> 
> I don't want people poking around my calendar or contacts. Even with the 
> SSI tags removed from the home page, there are links to them on the 404 
> page, so I deactivated the DateServ and CardServ modules by unchecking 
> the "Active" box in Prefs. After doing this, the modules disappeared from 
> the NPDS plug-ins menu and I cannot seem to reactivate them. Even after a 
> reboot, these two modules do not appear in the menu. I haven't tried to 
> reinstall them yet. 
> 
> I'm running the latest versions of everything.
> 
> Any suggestions?
> 
> g.

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS modules disappear from plug-ins menu?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:18:05 -0600
From: "Grant [Valid Permit] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Victor Rehorst typed and stepped back:

>Go to Extras and tap on the modules.  Their prefs slips will appear.
>Re-activate them and then they will be back in the NPDS plugins menu.

Doh.

Just a thought... wouldn't it make sense to have the modules stay in the 
plug-in menu even when they're not active? It would be slightly more 
convenient and slightly less confusing (at least for people like me...)

Thanks Victor.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:31:59 -0500
From: Matt Vaughn <nospam_matt.vaughn_at_mindspring_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS modules disappear from plug-ins menu?

Yes and no. When I implemented the plug-in architecture, I wanted there to 
be NO possibility that you could accidentally leave a module active that 
you didn't want to be active. So, the plugin menu reflects only plug-ins 
that are installed and active.. it's a quick way to check which plugins 
are active as well as a shortcut to opening them and modifying their 
preferences.

Matt

On Friday, August 31, 2001, at 04:18  PM, Grant [Valid Permit] Hutchinson 
wrote:

> In a previous message, Victor Rehorst typed and stepped back:
>
>> Go to Extras and tap on the modules.  Their prefs slips will appear.
>> Re-activate them and then they will be back in the NPDS plugins menu.
>
> Doh.
>
> Just a thought... wouldn't it make sense to have the modules stay in the
> plug-in menu even when they're not active? It would be slightly more
> convenient and slightly less confusing (at least for people like me...)
>
> Thanks Victor.

------------------------------

From: "Filmer, Paul E" <nospam_pfilmer_at_nsf_dot_gov>
Subject: [NPDS] Admin post problem solved
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:58:34 -0400

It chokes on large amounts of text, so you have to break up the post into
pieces (even with Bigger Notes installed, so the limitation is probably in
NPDS somewhere).
Paul F.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:09:45 -0500
From: Matt Vaughn <nospam_matt.vaughn_at_mindspring_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Admin post problem solved

Unless Paul has implemented POST in nHTTPd, NPDS is limited to less than 
1K of text because that's the limit of a GET request (actually, it's 255 
characters but you're allowed to cheat and go to 1024). Even then, I think 
BiggerNotes is a hack that stores note data in another slot of the Notes 
frame. If I remember right, I wrote NoteServ to use the NewtonOS API call 
to create a Note rather than writing directly to the Notes soup. To 
implement BiggerNotes support, someone needs to find out what slot 
BiggerNotes stores its data in, then patch NoteServ so that if BiggerNotes 
is installed, it writes directly to that slot instead of using the 
built-in method for creating a note.

Yes, I am extra-active on the NPDS list today. I am up to my butt in 
corrections to my thesis and so responding to NPDS mailings is looking 
pretty attractive...

Matt

On Friday, August 31, 2001, at 04:58  PM, Filmer, Paul E wrote:

> It chokes on large amounts of text, so you have to break up the post into
> pieces (even with Bigger Notes installed, so the limitation is probably in
> NPDS somewhere).
> Paul F.
>
> [NPDS Mailing List: To unsubscribe: mailto:npds-
> [email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe]
>

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS modules disappear from plug-ins menu?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:47:07 -0600
From: Grant Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Matt Vaughn typed vigorously:

>Yes and no. When I implemented the plug-in architecture, I wanted there to 
>be NO possibility that you could accidentally leave a module active that 
>you didn't want to be active. So, the plugin menu reflects only plug-ins 
>that are installed and active.. it's a quick way to check which plugins 
>are active as well as a shortcut to opening them and modifying their 
>preferences.

When it's explained that way, it makes much more sense. I guess I'm just 
a finicky guy when it comes to UI consistency. I realize there are many 
more issues and features in NPDS that take priority, but another option 
would be to grey out those particular items in the menu so they don't 
disappear - or flag the ones that _are_ active with bullets.

Thanks much for the explanation Matt.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #59
*************************