Subject: npds Digest V2 #29

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 03:11:11 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Fri, 25 May 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 029

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: [ANN] GIF Server 1.1
		[NPDS] Re: NPDS question

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:19:59 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] GIF Server 1.1

>But wasn't there two components to the GIF server? GIFMaker and
>pGIFServer? GIFMaker had the sliders, right?

Indeed.
There was the Newton bitmap to GIF code (in NewtonScript)
and the NPDS package plus the interface.

Here it's all in one.

BTW, the C++ function is passed an array of two or 16 colors, so if 
you want to edit them directly (as packed RGB ints :-), I can read 
them from prefs. The interface would then be any soup editor.

>Oh my word... the mind boggles. Perhaps a user-selectable colorspace, so
>we could use Lab or CMYK approximations as well... Hey Paul, could you
>look at porting ColorSync? :)

:-)

>I guess I was just thinking of a simple linear slider that changed each
>of the RGB values from 00 to FF.

In fact, PackRGB integers are made of 0000 to FFFF values, although 
not all values are accessible (the integer is 28 bits long). Then the 
GIF Lib converts them to 00 to FF.

>Well, originally I was just thinking of different colors of each of the
>states not necessarily linked in any way to the NPDS CSS, but thinking
>about it again... it may be interesting to include a value in the main
>style sheet specifically for the GIFServer.

Ok. This has been added to the wish list.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:06:33 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS question

Charles Keeter wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I hope you don't mind me e-mailing and asking you a question about how you
> set up your Newton server.
>
> I am setting up behind  a linksys router/firewall, using @home cable modem
> service. The biggest question I have is, though I show up on the tracker,
> people can't seem to reach my newton on the DHCP address that is
> assigned.  I can reach it fine from my own computer.
>
> Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated..
>
> Thank you!
>
> Chuck Keeter

I don't mind at all!

The reason your having this problem is a function of the Linksys.

I will try not to go into too much detail, but I hope it is enough for you to
fix your problem.

First I will describe what is going on here so you can get a better
understanding (solution will be below).

The Linksys router/firewall"s "outside" port takes the valid IP address that
@home has assigned to you. Then the Linksys assigns all other devices
connected to the "inside" port private IP addresses via a built in DHCP
server. All the devices with private IP addresses can't directly communicate
with the Internet, so the firewall then acts as a translator to all
communications going in and out of itself. It will translate and allow all
transmissions originating from the "inside" of the firewall, and send them to
the "outside" port and to the Internet. In term, it will also allow only
translate responses to those transmissions to pass back through it to the
"inside". This creates the "Firewall" that keeps any "outside" transmissions
from reaching your "inside" devices.

The good thing is, by doing this it is protecting you against people viewing
or hacking you devices on the inside.
The Bad thing is, it stops transmissions you may want from coming through the
firewall (like people trying to access your Newton.

SOLUTION!

Some firewalls, that are like your Linksys, are able to be configured
(usually through a web browser).
Now I don't know what features your firewall will allow you to configure, but
you will need to tell your firewall to let transmissions that are looking for
a web page (TCP port 80), to come through it.
They usually call these settings "Inbound mappings" or something.
You need to set your firewall to let all TCP port 80 transmissions from the
"outside" to go to the "inside" private IP address of your Newton.
Look through your manual, call them or go to Linksys' web page to find out
how to configure your firewall to do this.

Now another thing you might want to do is set your Newton to always use the
same IP address that your firewall configuration uses.

I hope this helps you out!
Sorry if it's a bit long winded : )

--
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
New Horizons Computer Learning Center
Nashville TN

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #29
*************************