Subject: npds Digest V2 #84

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:10:53 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Sun, 21 Oct 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 084

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:47:05 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

Update...

After many erase/brain wipe/soup deletes, then re-installing different
versions of nHTTPd I have noticed one common thing.

I seems that when I try to hit stop in the nHTTPd app, the ethernet
connection never is closed. After waiting and closing down all apps, I
can still ping the newton and get a response. The green, active light on
my ethernet card's dongle stays lit as well.

This leads me to believe that I might have a bad package of some part of
NIE. I downloaded them all from UNNA, but something might have happened
along the way.

I will try to find different instances of these packages (I have some
backed-up on CD-ROM) and start over again.

I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS even if it keeps me up to late (oh
well, since I've been laid off I'll have more time). 

Uuuugh!

-- 
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
email = [email-masked]
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:00:16 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

Hi John,

>After many erase/brain wipe/soup deletes, then re-installing different
>versions of nHTTPd I have noticed one common thing.
>
>I seems that when I try to hit stop in the nHTTPd app, the ethernet
>connection never is closed. After waiting and closing down all apps, I
>can still ping the newton and get a response. The green, active light on
>my ethernet card's dongle stays lit as well.

OK. I thought first that the problem was that you weren't able to 
connect at all to your server, but all you describe in fact means 
that nHTTPd doesn't re-instantiate a new endpoint and re-listens. I 
really wonder why, but Grant mentioned problems with the latency, and 
I think you should investigate this.

>This leads me to believe that I might have a bad package of some part of
>NIE. I downloaded them all from UNNA, but something might have happened
>along the way.

I don't think this is the cause of your problems.

>I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS even if it keeps me up to late (oh
>well, since I've been laid off I'll have more time).

Umm, I'm really sorry that it doesn't work :-(
Maybe an exception occurs when reinstantiating an endpoint. Could you 
please install BugTrap, set it to catch exceptions into try-catch and 
see if any log is generated after you make the first hit to the 
server?

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #84
*************************