Subject: npds Digest V2 #12

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 03:15:00 +0100 (CET)

<x-charset x-mac-text>------------------------------------
npds Digest	Wed, 07 Mar 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 012

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] NPDS Live Chat
		[NPDS] Re: NPDS Live Chat

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:24:06 +0100
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] NPDS Live Chat

Hi all,

Harri Hohteri suggested that we had a live chat on NPDS. I was 
wondering what you thought about it. The idea is to enable chatting 
with vistors AND the owner, instead of using the instant 
message/screen shot way.

I also wondered of the technical ways to do it.
Harri pointed out a web site for a TV which does have a live chat. It 
works by not closing the stream and sending new lines to every stream 
(there is one stream per user). This is nice but it doesn't work on 
iCab and Newtscape (and maybe NetHopper) which requires the stream to 
be closed before processing the page (it's a stupid behavior, I know).

Another way would be to use a Java applet, but not everybody has Java.
Or we could have a re-load to re-load the page every x minutes.
Or we could have a NewtonScript code for Newtscape clients.

Any comment?

Oh, something else. With all these features, I'm scared that we 
explode the counter. Maybe we could think about limiting the counter 
to hits to the home page? Or to sessions? (I prefer sessions as 
apparently many visitors to my Newton server have a bookmark of some 
pages).

Paul
-- 
http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080
                       Does ATA Support 0.1a2 work with your ATA card(s)?
                                      http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

------------------------------

From: "Perry E. Rutherford" <nospam_per_at_suzieqsw_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS Live Chat
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 21:07:42 -0500

Personally, if it's doable without adding too much bloat, I'd say go for it.
Although, it's not important enough to me to delay other programming
efforts, bug fixes, enhancements already in line, etc.

Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Paul Guyot
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 4:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NPDS] NPDS Live Chat

Hi all,

Harri Hohteri suggested that we had a live chat on NPDS. I was
wondering what you thought about it. The idea is to enable chatting
with vistors AND the owner, instead of using the instant
message/screen shot way.

I also wondered of the technical ways to do it.
Harri pointed out a web site for a TV which does have a live chat. It
works by not closing the stream and sending new lines to every stream
(there is one stream per user). This is nice but it doesn't work on
iCab and Newtscape (and maybe NetHopper) which requires the stream to
be closed before processing the page (it's a stupid behavior, I know).

Another way would be to use a Java applet, but not everybody has Java.
Or we could have a re-load to re-load the page every x minutes.
Or we could have a NewtonScript code for Newtscape clients.

Any comment?

Oh, something else. With all these features, I'm scared that we
explode the counter. Maybe we could think about limiting the counter
to hits to the home page? Or to sessions? (I prefer sessions as
apparently many visitors to my Newton server have a bookmark of some
pages).

Paul
--
http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080
                       Does ATA Support 0.1a2 work with your ATA card(s)?
                                      http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

[NPDS Mailing List: To unsubscribe:
mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe]

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #12
*************************

</x-charset>