Subject: npds Digest V2 #69

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:11:56 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Thu, 13 Sep 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 069

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Page Lenght limit
		[NPDS] Binary Server experiments
		[NPDS] Re: Page Lenght limit
		[NPDS] Re: Binary Server experiments

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Marcus Hilderbrand" <nospam_marcusah_at_crosswinds_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Page Lenght limit
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:51:22 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C13CA6.9BF2C1A0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hello,

Wondering if there was a limit as to how long the main index.html file =
can be.  I'm haveing  a little trouble with data not showing up =
correctly although it's been written and tagged in html correctly.

Thanks

Marcus Hilderbrand
[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C13CA6.9BF2C1A0
Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4611.1300" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wondering if there was a limit as to =
how long the=20
main index.html file can be.&nbsp; I'm haveing&nbsp; a little trouble =
with data=20
not showing up correctly although it's been written and tagged in html=20
correctly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Marcus Hilderbrand</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A></FONT=
></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C13CA6.9BF2C1A0--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 04:32:20 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Binary Server experiments

I have already sent an email to Paul Guyot about this, but thought I
would share my experiments with this list.

If anyone has any advise or experience please chime in!

Here is what was said:
-----------------------------------------
To: Paul
From: John

---------------------------------
Once again Paul,
I realize that you are a busy man, and I am not a paying customer asking

for technical support.
Don't consider me to be a high priority. I don't mind to wait.
---------------------------------

I am still playing with Binary Server and trying to add a third .gif
file to the Binaries@Binary storage.

I can install a third .gif file, and it shows that there are three items

in the Binaries@Binary store.
I can access the other 2 images with a web browser.
When you try to access the third image with a web browser, the server
gives the response

"Internal Server Error
This server has encountered an internal error preventing it from
fulfilling your request"

I have rechecked everything, rebuilt the package and even restarted from

scratch from the raw .gif image.

I think my problem might be in creating the resource file. You mentioned

to me before that ResEdit has a limitation size of 32000.

Do you mean that using ResEdit, the resource file can be no bigger than
this  -or- you can not copy more than 32000 into a fork at one time?

Another question I was wondering about was the other "ZIP" resource in
the "serve-npds" auto-remove package.

What does this resource do?
Do I need this resource to make each additional package?

Thanks for your time in advance.

-----------------------------------------
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:58:18 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Page Lenght limit

>Wondering if there was a limit as to how long the main index.html file can be.

No idea, I should look in the code if ever there is a limit. I think 
that the only limit is that the whole thing is more or less in the 
NewtonScript heap.

FYI, there is no big difference with sering GIFs which can be around 30 KB.
Limits for the size of data that NPDS can send are usually the 
latency, the firewalls & other nice things like this.

There is a 8 KB limit for the data it can get (in forms) which is, I 
think, higher than the normal GET command limit.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:04:36 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Binary Server experiments

>I realize that you are a busy man, and I am not a paying customer asking
>for technical support.

Indeed, but when I recompile a big project because I changed debug 
options in order to fix a bug, I have some time to reply to e-mails 
or to drink coffee.

>I am still playing with Binary Server and trying to add a third .gif
>file to the Binaries@Binary storage.

The problem with your two GIFs is that NPDS can't handle that many 
requests at the same time. This may be solved in the future with 
experiments I've done yesterday. I'm currently able to have native 
(i.e. not involving NewtonScript) async communications, and I can 
spawn a task to process the comm (useful to process the HTTP 
requests, NewtonScript will be required anyway at a moment because 
there is no other way to access the stores - however, some modules 
such as a new GIF Server and 404 could be handled entirely natively).

>I can access the other 2 images with a web browser.
>When you try to access the third image with a web browser, the server
>gives the response
>
>"Internal Server Error
>This server has encountered an internal error preventing it from
>fulfilling your request"

It basically means that an exception occurred while processing the 
request. Try to install bugtrap and tell it to catch exception inside 
a try/catch, and send me the report.

>I think my problem might be in creating the resource file.

I don't think so. Binary Server will serve anything provided that 
it's properly saved in your soup. Do you have a soup editor? Are 
there exactly the same slots in this 3rd item than in the two others?
It's true that Binary Server doesn't check for the existence of the 
slots. Maybe a slot is missing and it generated an exception and 
hence the error.

>Do you mean that using ResEdit, the resource file can be no bigger than
>this  -or- you can not copy more than 32000 into a fork at one time?

You cannot copy/paste more than 30000 bytes in a resource. Of course, 
you can have much larger resources/resource files.

>What does this resource do?

It's probably an old NPDS package I used to serve from my Newton, zipped.

>Do I need this resource to make each additional package?

No.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #69
*************************