Subject: npds Digest V2 #51

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 03:11:38 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Tue, 21 Aug 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 051

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: nHTTPd 2.038 BugTrap Reports
		[NPDS] [ANN] nHTTPd 2.039 and Track Me 2.035 (was Re: [ANN] 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] nHTTPd 2.038
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:22:14 -0600
From: Grant Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

>>I have also gone back to using 2.033 of the
>>Tracker Client, as I kept getting the following error upon every restart:
>>
>>      http://www.splorp.com/junk/screentracker010820.gif
>
>No, this isn't a bug in the tracker client.
>It's what the server said. In the previous version, the tracker 
>client didn't say anything whatever the server said. Now, it reports 
>any message except 20X messages and any problem (so you know when the 
>tracker goes down and so on).

I guessed as much. So the aforementioned error message is basically 
telling me that my Newton was probably not unregistered from the tracker 
server, and an attempt was made to re-register it once it restarted, 
correct? I'd like to suggest that the display of these messages be an 
option selectable via the prefs. It's a valid feedback mechanism, but I 
get tired of dismissing the windows.

>>Paul, I can get you a list of the specific errors that were being
>>produced by 2.038 once I have a few minutes to reinstall that version.
>
>Please install BugTrap from tactile systems and generate logs. The 
>error number is completely useless for developers when the complex is 
>a little bit complex.

You got it. BugTrap is installed and I'm about to load up the new 
packages again. I'll send the reports to the list if that's ok.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] nHTTPd 2.038 BugTrap Reports
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:13:55 -0600
From: Grant Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

>You got it. BugTrap is installed and I'm about to load up the new 
>packages again. I'll send the reports to the list if that's ok.

Paul, there are three sequential BugTrap reports posted on my Newton 
server from my most current errors. All three errors happens right after 
one another. Let me know if I need to adjust the frame size value to 
capture more data or not.

     http://newton.splorp.com/html/32227393$192.nsd
     http://newton.splorp.com/html/32227393$194.nsd
     http://newton.splorp.com/html/32227393$195.nsd

Of course, if my server is down it may be difficult to see these reports. 
:)

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: nHTTPd 2.038 BugTrap Reports
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:41:58 -0600
From: Grant Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

More reports.

First of all, the three reports I pointed to in my previous message have 
different urls now, because I stupidly moved them from the internal store 
to my card. Here are the new links:

     http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$28.nsd
     http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$29.nsd
     http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$30.nsd

The next couple of errors were the result of closing the nHTTP prefs 
window after modifying the MOTD text field and applying the changes. This 
is similar to how the original errors I mentioned were triggered.

     http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$25.nsd
     http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$26.nsd

I then tried to access the server via my browser and generated one more:

     http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$27.nsd

I rebooted the Newton manually after this since NPDS was no longer 
responding and the NPDS Watcher was evidently no longer running.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:07:43 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: nHTTPd 2.038 BugTrap Reports

>More reports.

Thanks, Grant, this is very useful.

>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$28.nsd

Big fixed in 2 mins (thanks to the log, of course). It was that when 
the port was 80, the title wasn't set. I'm going to upload the 2.039 
in a second. BTW, this bug exists since 2.036.

>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$29.nsd
>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$30.nsd

I guess this one is linked to the previous one. And the -8007 may be 
linked to the first bug, as when a bug occurs, the initialization 
process is stopped. And here, your -8007 is typically that the stop 
button wasn't initialized properly.
We'll see if you still experience it with the first bug fixed.

>The next couple of errors were the result of closing the nHTTP prefs
>window after modifying the MOTD text field and applying the changes. This
>is similar to how the original errors I mentioned were triggered.
>
>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$25.nsd

Same as bug 29.

>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$26.nsd

Same as bug 30. Confirms that both are linked.

>I then tried to access the server via my browser and generated one more:
>
>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$27.nsd

Unfortunately, BugTrap didn't provide much data here. It hasn't 
disassembled InputScript function. So it took me an additionnal 5 
mins. Anyway, this is the well known bug with the non thread safe 
global variables. I'm sorry to say that I won't fix it now because it 
requires to rewrite the whole kernel of the server.

Thanks again for these bug reports. It really helps.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:52:35 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] [ANN] nHTTPd 2.039 and Track Me 2.035 (was Re: [ANN] nHTTPd 2.0

>I guessed as much. So the aforementioned error message is basically
>telling me that my Newton was probably not unregistered from the tracker
>server, and an attempt was made to re-register it once it restarted,
>correct?

At restart, the Newton is registered on the server. If you were 
previously registered (basically if you were serving pages, you 
probably were), then you get this error message.

>I'd like to suggest that the display of these messages be an
>option selectable via the prefs. It's a valid feedback mechanism, but I
>get tired of dismissing the windows.

Heh. OK, done. 2.035 now lets you disable every 4xx error messages 
from the server.

BTW, I've uploaded it with nHTTPd 2.039.

nHTTPd:
21/08/2001 2.039 [Paul Guyot]
  Fixed a bug introduced with 2.036 with the title not being set if 
port is 80 (thanks Grant).
  Fixed another aesthetic bug in this function (:x suffix was only 
added with a public IP) and revised it entirely.

Track Me:
21/08/2001 2.035 [Paul Guyot]
  Added a pref to not report 4xx errors which Grant finds annoying.
  Fixed a bug in the way prefs is handled when upgrading (we still 
have to reset all the prefs, though)

http://npds.free.fr/Server/
http://npds.free.fr/Tracker%20Client/

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] nHTTPd 2.039 and Track Me 2.035
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:05:18 -0600
From: "Grant [Worrisome] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Paul Guyot mentioned in passing:

>Added a pref to not report 4xx errors which Grant finds annoying.

Heh. Now that's what I call responsive customer service. It pays to talk 
to the people in charge of things, doesn't it?

I'm loading up the new versions right now.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #51
*************************