Subject: npds Digest V2 #92

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:11:19 +0100 (CET)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Mon, 29 Oct 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 092

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Problem with new upgrade
		[NPDS] Re: Problem with new upgrade

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:16:17 +0100 (CET)
From: "Halvor Kise jr." <nospam_halvork_at_cybercomm_dot_no>
Subject: [NPDS] Problem with new upgrade

Hi,

Well the subject is only half true. My problems started when I installed 
the very beta driver for Lucent WaveLAN.

Earlier I used a 3com 3c589D Etherlink III ethernet card.
With this configuration everything (NPDS) worked like a charm.

I installed the WaveLAN driver to play with it and see how it was. Long 
story.

After this install, every time my Newt rebooted (cause of NPDS Watcher) I 
got an error from NPDS, and that led to a new restart, and the reboot loop 
was a fact.
The error I got was:
Server
InetGrabLink -61001

It doesn't seem like it is opening a connection at all.
If I managed to turn off the NPDS Watcher, I could "Stop" NPDS. Every time 
I "stop" it NPDS gives me the NIE connection option to choose what 
ethernet card I would like to connect to.
When I choose the right driver from this connection window, NPDS 
stops, and I can start it again without problems.

So I deleted the Lucent driver and forced NPDS watcher to reboot my newt, 
and then I got some new errors.
If I started NPDS from Extras or the NPDS button on my background app. I 
got these errors:
- -48809
- -8007
- -48204

If NPDS Watcher tried to start up NPDS after a reboot I only got this 
eror:
- -48808
This happends at the same time as there is opened a window with 
Initializing.

So I deleted everything on my Newton. Restored everything except NPDS. 
INstalled NPDS over again, and now I am back to my first problem. I still 
get the -61001 error if NPDS Watcher is trying to start NPDS for me.

Does anybody have a sollution for this problem? Or any guesses?

Argh, now my NPDS counter is reset again... 

Best,
- - Halvor.

- -- 
		*** MEMENTO MORI ***

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:25:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Problem with new upgrade

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Halvor Kise jr. wrote:

> Well the subject is only half true. My problems started when I installed 
> the very beta driver for Lucent WaveLAN.
<snip>
> So I deleted everything on my Newton. Restored everything except NPDS. 
> INstalled NPDS over again, and now I am back to my first problem. I still 
> get the -61001 error if NPDS Watcher is trying to start NPDS for me.
> 
> Does anybody have a sollution for this problem? Or any guesses?

-61001 means that NIE couldn't initialize the network card.  Check the
default internet setup in your (default) worksite.  If it's not set to the
internet setup you're currently using, then when your Newton reboots, NPDS
watcher will try to use the default internet setup to reconnect, and if
this is invalid (ie. it's set to use a card that isn't inserted or doesn't
exist) then it will emit this error.

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #92
*************************