Subject: npds Digest V2 #60

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 03:10:40 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Sat, 01 Sep 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 060

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: NPDS modules disappear from plug-ins menu?
		[NPDS] Re: Admin post problem solved
		[NPDS] Re: Updates Website: nHTTPd 2.039 & Tracker Client 2.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 05:04:47 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS modules disappear from plug-ins menu?

>When it's explained that way, it makes much more sense. I guess I'm just
>a finicky guy when it comes to UI consistency. I realize there are many
>more issues and features in NPDS that take priority, but another option
>would be to grey out those particular items in the menu so they don't
>disappear - or flag the ones that _are_ active with bullets.
>
>Thanks much for the explanation Matt.

Like you Grant, I find this annoying (I'm deactivating the tracker 
client all at least twice per day to change my connection method, and 
to avoid to have to go to the extras drawer, I call the tracker, then 
the backdrop button twice to put the server to the front, then I 
uncheck register with a tracker, I press stop, star, internet 
connection, yes, wait a second, start, register with a tracker). But 
now that I think about it, Matt's reason is a good reason. I'll have 
to define another GUI which does make it clear which module is active 
and which isn't while it will also show all the present modules.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 05:07:33 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Admin post problem solved

>Unless Paul has implemented POST in nHTTPd, NPDS is limited to less 
>than 1K of text because that's the limit of a GET request (actually, 
>it's 255 characters but you're allowed to cheat and go to 1024).

Actually, NPDS accepts 8 KB of data including headers. It's the way 
it's written. The limitation is more likely to be in the browsers.

>Even then, I think BiggerNotes is a hack that stores note data in 
>another slot of the Notes frame.

No. It's just setting the max size slot of the Notes application to 
32 KB (instead of 8 KB), so alerts are gone. I think here it's KB and 
not K-Characters.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 05:13:44 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Updates Website: nHTTPd 2.039 & Tracker Client 2.035

>Paul - is there any way to serve up a note out of the soup that doesn't
>reside in the specified NotePad folder?

Grant, there is now two note pad folders, and the behavior is a 
little bit different from the one in the NPDS 2.0 documentation. It's 
not particularly clear, and I think that Josh wrote a good note about 
it.

Oh, his Newton is up right now.

Here is the note:
http://24.255.52.100:8080/html/NoteServ%20Configuration

(Josh, please don't go offline ;)

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Updates Website: nHTTPd 2.039 & Tracker Client 2.035 promot
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 10:02:09 -0600
From: "Grant [Valid Permit] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Paul Guyot typed with feeling:

>Grant, there is now two note pad folders, and the behavior is a 
>little bit different from the one in the NPDS 2.0 documentation.
>It's not particularly clear, and I think that Josh wrote a good
>note about it.
>
>Here is the note:
>http://24.255.52.100:8080/html/NoteServ%20Configuration

Ah, yes. That clears it up. I seem to remember reading this note way, way 
back in time, but it didn't click with me until now. All the more reason 
to have a team start revamping the NPDS docs to include all of these 
third-party tips and other addenda.

Or is documentation on your to-do list as well Paul? :)

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 10:17:45 -0700
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Updates Website: nHTTPd 2.039 & Tracker Client
From: "Josh mac.com" <nospam_senorwences_at_mac_dot_com>

on 9/1/01 9:02 AM, Grant [Valid Permit] Hutchinson at [email-masked]
wrote:

> In a previous message, Paul Guyot typed with feeling:
> 
>> Grant, there is now two note pad folders, and the behavior is a
>> little bit different from the one in the NPDS 2.0 documentation.
>> It's not particularly clear, and I think that Josh wrote a good
>> note about it.
>> 
>> Here is the note:
>> http://24.255.52.100:8080/html/NoteServ%20Configuration
> 
> Ah, yes. That clears it up. I seem to remember reading this note way, way
> back in time, but it didn't click with me until now. All the more reason
> to have a team start revamping the NPDS docs to include all of these
> third-party tips and other addenda.
> 
> Or is documentation on your to-do list as well Paul? :)
> 
> g.

I would be more than happy to help work on the documentation overhaul.

Josh Burker

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #60
*************************