Subject: npds Digest V2 #80

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 03:11:36 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Fri, 05 Oct 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 080

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] NoteServer links broken?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 00:31:41 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] NoteServer links broken?

I just got a new 32 MB Pretec memory card.

I had a 6 MB card that had a lot of data on it. I backed it up and
restored it to my new Pretec card.

Now all of my links from my NPDS home site to my notes (posted by me and
by Whiteboard) are broken.

Anybody know how I can fix them?

--
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 06:11:45 -0500
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NoteServer links broken?
From: Matt Vaughn <nospam_matt.vaughn_at_mindspring_dot_com>

John,

The first part of a hard-coded NoteServ link is a unique ID representing 
the card or other memory device the note is stored on. For a reference on 
the matter, see

"The NPDS Pseudo-Filename System: How To Be a Card-Based Computer in a 
Disk-Based World" at
http://homepage.mac.com/LightyearDesign/NPDS/Manuals/docs202/english/naming.
html

If you changed flash-cards, this ID will change, too. What you need to do 
is list the notes stored on the card, find the first part of the virtual 
filename, determine the ID of the new card, and replace all instances of 
the old ID with the new.

Here's an idea: use Script Editor to define to new SSI "STORAGE_CARD" that 
returns this new ID value, then construct your new URLS to read 
html/<STORAGE_CARD>$967.xxx . If you change cards again and have to repeat 
this exercise, you can simply change the value returned by the SSI.

Good luck,

Matt

On Friday, October 5, 2001, at 12:31  AM, John Skinner wrote:

> I just got a new 32 MB Pretec memory card.
>
> I had a 6 MB card that had a lot of data on it. I backed it up and
> restored it to my new Pretec card.
>
> Now all of my links from my NPDS home site to my notes (posted by me and
> by Whiteboard) are broken.
>
> Anybody know how I can fix them?
>
--
Matthew W. Vaughn, Ph.D.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1201 West Gregory Drive, 190 ERML
Urbana, IL 61801
phone: (217) 333-3225 fax: (217) 244-4419

"Plant hackers have root access!"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 06:12:26 -0500
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NoteServer links broken?
From: Matt Vaughn <nospam_matt.vaughn_at_mindspring_dot_com>

John,

The first part of a hard-coded NoteServ link is a unique ID representing 
the card or other memory device the note is stored on. For a reference on 
the matter, see

"The NPDS Pseudo-Filename System: How To Be a Card-Based Computer in a 
Disk-Based World" at
http://homepage.mac.com/LightyearDesign/NPDS/Manuals/docs202/english/naming.
html

If you changed flash-cards, this ID will change, too. What you need to do 
is list the notes stored on the card, find the first part of the virtual 
filename, determine the ID of the new card, and replace all instances of 
the old ID with the new.

Here's an idea: use Script Editor to define to new SSI "STORAGE_CARD" that 
returns this new ID value, then construct your new URLS to read 
html/<STORAGE_CARD>$967.xxx . If you change cards again and have to repeat 
this exercise, you can simply change the value returned by the SSI.

Good luck,

Matt

On Friday, October 5, 2001, at 12:31  AM, John Skinner wrote:

> I just got a new 32 MB Pretec memory card.
>
> I had a 6 MB card that had a lot of data on it. I backed it up and
> restored it to my new Pretec card.
>
> Now all of my links from my NPDS home site to my notes (posted by me and
> by Whiteboard) are broken.
>
> Anybody know how I can fix them?
>
--
Matthew W. Vaughn, Ph.D.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1201 West Gregory Drive, 190 ERML
Urbana, IL 61801
phone: (217) 333-3225 fax: (217) 244-4419

"Plant hackers have root access!"

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #80
*************************