Subject: npds Digest V2 #105

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:12:02 +0100 (CET)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Fri, 30 Nov 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 105

In This Issue:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [NTLK] NDPS NoteServ 2.045 problem?
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:08:50 -0700
From: "Grant [Butterscotch] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Jeremy Bond Shepherd typed vigorously:

>NoteServ 2.045 appears to be not properly serving notes in the 
>Posts folder which have a generic title (e.g., appears as Note: 
>Mon 10/15). The server returns a 500 error (Internal Error). 
>Note with a user-given title work fine.

I usually get these generically titled posts if I have the "Posts" folder 
open in Notes when BugTrap generates an error report. The normal BugTrap 
report gets placed into the "Unfiled" folder, but another blank note gets 
placed into the "Posts" folder (I'm not sure why). This blank or empty 
note, which has the same type of title as you describe shows up in the 
NPDS <NOTE_LIST>, but cannot be accessed (the 500 error as above).

I found that if you simply open the note on the Newton and refile the 
note into the same folder and try again you can then load the note you 
your browser. It must have something to do with the way blank notes are 
named by default.

Do you happen to know how these notes are being created originally? It 
seems that creating a new note within the Notes application doesn't cause 
this same behavior.

BTW, I've crossed posted this message to the NPDS list as well.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [NTLK] NDPS NoteServ 2.045 problem?
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:01:45 -0700
From: "Grant [Butterscotch] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

>Date:        30/11/2001 02:53 PM
>From:        Jeremy Bond Shepherd, [email-masked]
>To:          Newton-Talk, [email-masked]
>
>They're not blank NOTES, they just have default titles. They are 
>all notes that I created myself in the notepad and didn't rename 
>from the default (in the format DAY mm/dd).

Yep, I can confirm that this happens when I create new notes manually as 
well. It's just that the error I get when BugTrap creates the note is 
different than the one that appears in NPDS when I create the note 
manaually. I got bit confused by that.

>I don't recall seeing this behaviour in older versions, but I 
>don't really remember the particulars that well so I could be 
>forgetting.

I never really noticed it before either, but I wouldn't be surprised if 
it's been around in the last few revisions.

>I tried posting to the NPDS list but it went to the moderator 
>and I don't think it's been approved yet.

You need to join the list before you can officially post to it. 
Instructions are as follows.

To subscribe: mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe
To unsubscribe: mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Fwd: Re: [NTLK] NDPS NoteServ 2.045 problem?
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:02:33 -0700
From: "Grant [Butterscotch] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------

Date:        30/11/2001 03:59 PM
From:        Jeremy Bond Shepherd, [email-masked]
To:          Newton-Talk, [email-masked]

Grant,

I did some more experimenting... this is an odd problem indeed.

All of the notes I created myself in the notepad (i.e., Tap New 
then Note) seem to serve fine with or without a title.

The problem notes are ones that were created using Ink Spot 
"Save to Notepad" feature. If they have a title, they serve 
fine. If they DON'T have a title, they successfully serve about 
30% of the time. The rest of the time they throw 500 errors. 
Giving them a title, refreshing NOTE_LIST and then re-serving 
results in success.

Most of the notes I had in my Posts folder were ones I filed 
there from Ink Spot, which is why the problem looked as 
widespread during my first experiments.

-Jeremy

----------------- End Forwarded Message -----------------

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #105
**************************