Subject: npds Digest V2 #95

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:12:02 +0100 (CET)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Mon, 12 Nov 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 095

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: Script Editor install problem
		[NPDS] Re: Script Editor install problem
		[NPDS] Basic TCP/IP Doc (was: Re: Fwd: NPDS Assistance Neede
		[NPDS] [Survey] Top 10 reasons to use the Newton as a web se
		[NPDS] Re: [Survey] Top 10 reasons to use the Newton as a we

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Script Editor install problem
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 19:24:56 -0700
From: "Grant [Tonic Bottle] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

Hi Way.

>I was trying in install the Script Editor package and NCU hangs. The
>progress bar is completely filled but never goes away. I need to cancel
>the download; then there is no Script Editor on the Newton. I also
>tried installing on another Newton and the same problem occurs. Anyone
>else have this problem? I assume Acript Editor appears as application
>in the Unfiled folder, but I've checked all icons but no editor is
>found.

What version of the editor are you installing? Did you grab the version 
from the NPDS development server?

     http://npds.free.fr/Utilities/

I wasn't able to install this version after downloading myself. Perhaps 
the copy on the server is corrupted. Hey Paul, when you have a minute, 
could you upload a new copy of just the Script Editor package? The 
Stuffit archive of the source code seems to be fine.

In the meantime, you can download a copy of the original version (1.0) of 
the Script Editor from my site. It works fine with the latest NPDS 
packages. It's the one I am still using.

     http://www.splorp.com/download/editor.pkg

Actually, is there any difference between Script Editor 1.0 which comes 
with NPDS 2.02 (from Matt's site) and the one that exists on npds.free.fr 
server? Just curious.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 21:39:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Script Editor install problem

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Grant [Tonic Bottle] Hutchinson wrote:

> What version of the editor are you installing? Did you grab the version 
> from the NPDS development server?
> 
>      http://npds.free.fr/Utilities/
> 
> I wasn't able to install this version after downloading myself. Perhaps 
> the copy on the server is corrupted. Hey Paul, when you have a minute, 
> could you upload a new copy of just the Script Editor package? The 
> Stuffit archive of the source code seems to be fine.

I also had problems with this copy recently, I just forgot to mention it
:)  I ended up using the copy in UNNA.

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Script Editor install problem
From: [email-masked] (Way)
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 19:07:34 -0800

Thanks Grant! That worked!

Way

Grant [Tonic Bottle] Hutchinson wrote:
>Hi Way.
>
>>I was trying in install the Script Editor package and NCU hangs. The
>>progress bar is completely filled but never goes away. I need to cancel
>>the download; then there is no Script Editor on the Newton. I also
>>tried installing on another Newton and the same problem occurs. Anyone
>>else have this problem? I assume Acript Editor appears as application
>>in the Unfiled folder, but I've checked all icons but no editor is
>>found.
>
>What version of the editor are you installing? Did you grab the version 
>from the NPDS development server?
>
>     http://npds.free.fr/Utilities/
>
>I wasn't able to install this version after downloading myself. Perhaps 
>the copy on the server is corrupted. Hey Paul, when you have a minute, 
>could you upload a new copy of just the Script Editor package? The 
>Stuffit archive of the source code seems to be fine.
>
>In the meantime, you can download a copy of the original version (1.0) of 
>the Script Editor from my site. It works fine with the latest NPDS 
>packages. It's the one I am still using.
>
>     http://www.splorp.com/download/editor.pkg
>
>Actually, is there any difference between Script Editor 1.0 which comes 
>with NPDS 2.02 (from Matt's site) and the one that exists on npds.free.fr 
>server? Just curious.
>
>g.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:22:32 +0100
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Script Editor install problem

>Actually, is there any difference between Script Editor 1.0 which comes
>with NPDS 2.02 (from Matt's site) and the one that exists on npds.free.fr
>server? Just curious.

Well, apparently, yes, there was a difference. One was corrupted and 
the other is not ;)

I've just fixed the problem.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Script Editor install problem
From: [email-masked] (Way)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:31:05 -0800

Hi Paul,

I just downloaded from your site the ScriptEditor-2.0.pkg (Last modified
Nov. 12th). It installed fine but the version still says 1.0. Is this
correct?

Way

Paul Guyot wrote:
>>Actually, is there any difference between Script Editor 1.0 which comes
>>with NPDS 2.02 (from Matt's site) and the one that exists on npds.free.fr
>>server? Just curious.
>
>Well, apparently, yes, there was a difference. One was corrupted and 
>the other is not ;)
>
>I've just fixed the problem.
>
>Paul
>-- 
>Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
>Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/
>
>[NPDS Mailing List: To unsubscribe: mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe]

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Script Editor install problem
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:21:19 -0700
From: "Grant [Tonic Bottle] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Way typed vigorously:

>I just downloaded from your site the ScriptEditor-2.0.pkg (Last modified
>Nov. 12th). It installed fine but the version still says 1.0. Is this
>correct?

See, that's what was confusing me. Both packages seemed to be identical, 
yet the one on the npds.free.fr site was externally labeled as 2.0.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Fwd: NPDS Assistance Needed
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:55:00 -0700
From: "Grant [Crossed Fingers] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

Hi Michael.

>I'm trying to use my newton as webserver with NPDS. But I don't know how
>to solve this problem, I am hoping you might be able to assist me.
>
>My Newton 2100 set-up is ethernet on a LAN behind a firewall. For obvious
>security reasons these IP addresses are not public.
>
>How do I get the Newton registered with a NPDS tracker without using these
>secure (non-public) IP addresses; I see the latest NPDS tracker client has
>a "LAN checkbox" and "Public IP", but atlas this doesn't solve my problem.
>Unless, does "Public IP" mean, I have to create a separate "Public IP"
>address within the firewall to allow the Newton and various tracker
>servers to communicate? Or I'm I going down the wrong road and there is an
>easier solution that won't compromise LAN security?

You can enter pretty much any IP address into the Public IP field of the 
tracker client. I would simply put in a generic (fake) IP address such as 
0.0.0.100 or similar. Since you're behind a firewall, no one will be able 
to hit your Newton anyway, but at least the tracker client will be able 
to register with the tracker server. One issue that this causes is that 
the tracker server will not be able to verify that your Newton is still 
active and will remove it from the listing during the next validation 
cycle. Your best way to combat this and to make sure that your device is 
listed as much as possible is to set up a regular, automatic registration 
schedule within the tracker client. To do this, tap the button with the 
pi symbol.

You are using the most recent version (2.035) of the tracker client, 
right?

I hope that this helps.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:05:46 +0100
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Basic TCP/IP Doc (was: Re: Fwd: NPDS Assistance Needed)

>You can enter pretty much any IP address into the Public IP field of the
>tracker client. I would simply put in a generic (fake) IP address such as
>0.0.0.100 or similar. Since you're behind a firewall, no one will be able
>to hit your Newton anyway, but at least the tracker client will be able
>to register with the tracker server. One issue that this causes is that
>the tracker server will not be able to verify that your Newton is still
>active and will remove it from the listing during the next validation
>cycle. Your best way to combat this and to make sure that your device is
>listed as much as possible is to set up a regular, automatic registration
>schedule within the tracker client. To do this, tap the button with the
>pi symbol.

What's the interest to register to the tracker if you can't be 
reached from the internet? :)
Just don't install the tracker client (resp. all the NDPS modules) 
and all your problems will be solved :))

Seriously, I think that we need a documentation explaining what 
happens and how to configure all stuff in the following situations:
a/ there is a router of some kind (say an Airport base)
b/ one accesses the internet with a MacOS/X/Windoze/Linux machine and 
wants to have their Newton reachable from the internet.

I'm ready to change the interface of the tracker client or other 
elements if you think it would help. I also could write the parts for 
IPNetRouter, iptables (linux kernel 2.4.x) or the Airport base.

As usual, comments welcome. Now, I have newtToDo and a real To Do 
list, unfortunately growing much faster than I can mark task as 
complete :)

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:17:30 +0100
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] [Survey] Top 10 reasons to use the Newton as a web server

I found a note on Chris Richmond's website with that title 
(http://sharky.ne.mediaone.net:8080/html/28401578$5.nsd), and I 
wondered:
a/ what are the reasons why you run NPDS on your Newton
b/ what are the reasons why you would like to run NPDS on your Newton.

In a nutshell, what are the ten points you would put?
This could serve as the basis for the evangelist part of the NPDS 3.0 
documentation.

I don't have enough imaginations for 10 points I guess. I would put:
1/ it's the easiest way to transfer notes from the Newton to the 
desktop computer, whatever the desktop computer is
2/ if you forget your Newton when you go the library, you can leave 
notes about books you're reading on it just via the internet consoles
3/ it doesn't make any sound or it can makes plenty of sounds 
including a surprising count down and click sounds for every hit
BTW, this afternoon I was late as usual and the Newton crashed but 
wasn't restarted by the watcher yet, so I took the ethernet card out, 
put the secondary linear card in, restarted it and put it in my bag, 
and in the subway, I heard the count down sound -- nobody has noticed 
apparently, but when I had to change the line, I took my Newton out, 
shut the sound off and stopped NPDS.
4/ you can design web pages anywhere including in boring lectures on 
the Java language (although these days, I'm so tired that I can't 
help sleeping)

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:31:32 -0500
From: THX 1138 <nospam_onefishtwofish_at_mac_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [Survey] Top 10 reasons to use the Newton as a web

On  11/12/01, Paul Guyot quoth:
>a/ what are the reasons why you run NPDS on your Newton

simple.  it was an out of box message board for my company intranet 
where we could all gripe about the bosses with no one the wiser. I 
could pack it up at the end of the day and not worry about the 
information falling into the wrong hands. of course I eventually got 
paranoid and used it for other purposes, but that was my original 
intent.

probably not the evangelistic answer you wanted, but hey, it locked me in.

later,
-- 
ben.
[email-masked]

Newton Connections: Obsessive Newton News
http://newted.net/~1f2frfbf/
In less than optimum circumstances, creativity becomes all the more important.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:45:12 -0800
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Basic TCP/IP Doc (was: Re: Fwd: NPDS Assistance Needed)
From: Josh Burker <nospam_senorwences_at_mac_dot_com>

On Monday, November 12, 2001, at 02:05 PM, Paul Guyot wrote:
> What's the interest to register to the tracker if you can't be reached 
> from the internet? :)
> Just don't install the tracker client (resp. all the NDPS modules) and 
> all your problems will be solved :))
>
> Seriously, I think that we need a documentation explaining what happens 
> and how to configure all stuff in the following situations:
> a/ there is a router of some kind (say an Airport base)
> b/ one accesses the internet with a MacOS/X/Windoze/Linux machine and 
> wants to have their Newton reachable from the internet.
>
> I'm ready to change the interface of the tracker client or other 
> elements if you think it would help. I also could write the parts for 
> IPNetRouter, iptables (linux kernel 2.4.x) or the Airport base.
>
> As usual, comments welcome. Now, I have newtToDo and a real To Do list, 
> unfortunately growing much faster than I can mark task as complete :)
>
> Paul
>

I'll work on some documentation this week on configuring the client and 
basic firewalls and send it your way, Paul.

Josh Burker

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #95
*************************