Subject: npds Digest V2 #83

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:10:52 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Sat, 20 Oct 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 083

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
		[NPDS] [ANN] New tracker server
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
		[NPDS] Re: Trackers Down
		[NPDS] Re: [ANN] New tracker server
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
		[NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:51:27 -0700
From: Dale Steele <nospam_dtsteele_at_mac_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

--Boundary_(ID_YMLIsYeftyrhaHyKYMw5fA)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

I don't have any solutions to offer but think Josh's lead is a good 
one. I find that I can keep my less loaded backup unit online longer 
too. I went through a spell like John describes and cleared up some 
space, kept checking all my settings, and somewhere in the process, I 
got back on.

Good luck!

Dale

>>I guess I do a brian wipe and load a previous version back on and try it.
>>
>>
>John, I feel for you.  I've been getting internal server errors on 
>my 2100 quite frequently.  Perhaps it's time to fall back on the 
>backup Newton and take it off the more heavily loaded one; I did 
>free up some heap by freezing packages, so I'll try it this weekend.
>
>It sounds like you've done pretty much everything one could think to 
>do, but you did not mention whether you have always done the 
>following, according to the NPDS manual:
>
>"First, use your package installer of choice to install nHTTPd but 
>do not install the other components yet.
>* Close your desktop connection, open the Extras drawer, then tap 
>the the nHTTPd Icon to open it. This performs some initialization 
>functions required for the rest of the NPDS System to function.
>* Now use your package installer to load your choice of these 
>plugins and extensions."
>
>Could it be that you are installing all the components at once on a 
>freshly hard-reset Newton without first installing nHTTPd and 
>letting it do it's initialization functions?
>
>After this Brainwipe, load nHTTPd first, get it initialized, and 
>then load the most current packages back on; this is most useful for 
>Paul and Adam and version 3.0 (which I await patiently).
>
>I'll put my NPDS server online; let me know if this hint helped,
>
>Josh Burker

-- 

--Boundary_(ID_YMLIsYeftyrhaHyKYMw5fA)
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<html><head><style type="text/css"><!--
blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>[NPDS] Re: Server will not
respond!!</title></head><body>
<div>I don't have any solutions to offer but think Josh's lead is a
good one. I find that I can keep my less loaded backup unit online
longer too. I went through a spell like John describes and cleared up
some space, kept checking all my settings, and somewhere in the
process, I got back on.</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>Good luck!</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>Dale</div>
<div><br></div>
<blockquote type="cite" cite>
<blockquote type="cite" cite>I guess I do a brian wipe and load a
previous version back on and try it.</blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite><br></blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite><br></blockquote>
</blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite>John, I feel for you.&nbsp; I've been
getting internal server errors on my 2100 quite frequently.&nbsp;
Perhaps it's time to fall back on the backup Newton and take it off
the more heavily loaded one; I did free up some heap by freezing
packages, so I'll try it this weekend.</blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite><br></blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite>It sounds like you've done pretty much
everything one could think to do, but you did not mention whether you
have always done the following, according to the NPDS
manual:</blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite><br></blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite>&quot;<font face="Times">First, use your
package installer of choice to install nHTTPd but do not install the
other components yet.</font></blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite><font face="Times">* Close your desktop
connection, open the Extras drawer, then tap the the nHTTPd Icon to
open it. This performs some initialization functions required for the
rest of the NPDS System to function.</font></blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite><font face="Times">* Now use your
package installer to load your choice of these plugins and
extensions.&quot;</font></blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite><br></blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite>Could it be that you are installing all
the components at once on a freshly hard-reset Newton without first
installing nHTTPd and letting it do it's initialization functions?
</blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite><br></blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite>After this Brainwipe, load nHTTPd first,
get it initialized, and then load the most current packages back on;
this is most useful for Paul and Adam and version 3.0 (which I await
patiently).</blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite><br></blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite>I'll put my NPDS server online; let me
know if this hint helped,</blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite><br></blockquote>
<blockquote type="cite" cite>Josh Burker</blockquote>
<div><br></div>
<div><br></div>
<x-sigsep><pre>-- 
</pre></x-sigsep>
</body>
</html>

--Boundary_(ID_YMLIsYeftyrhaHyKYMw5fA)--

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:13:38 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

WOW!

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm gonna try Josh's idea out right now
(3:10 AM).

I feel kinda silly. I had never read that part of the manual before. I
have read quite a bit on the other topics (not installation).

I'll post my results.

-- 
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
email = [email-masked]
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 10:28:59 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] [ANN] New tracker server

Hi all,

I've setup a new tracker server. And I set it to share with misato 
(and misato to share with it). It is hosted by Bill Shamam (who also 
hosts NTLK) at:
http://shakti.continuity.cx:2110

To register on it (instead of misato, you don't need to be registered 
on both as they share their records), just use misato settings but 
replace misato.chuma.org with shakti.continuity.cx.

Victor, I've noticed a couple of things while setting up the server on shakti:
a/ 1.27 on npds.free.fr doesn't compile (on shakti - JVM 1.2.1), in 
saveServers, we have synchronized { ... } instead of synchronized ( 
mHostInfoVector ) { ... }.
I fixed that.
b/ 1.27 on misato isn't 1.27 on npds.free.fr (it basically doesn't 
have synchronized { ... } at all which isn't a good idea and might 
explain why it crashed). Note: I'm probably guilty here.
c/ the tracker server outputted some stuff to the stderr. We probably 
don't want that.
d/ it refused to work without npdscmd.txt file created.
e/ even if both servers have shareEnabled set to 1 in the .ini file, 
from the admin console, they say that it is disabled (and indeed 
behave accordingly).
f/ I guess they don't save this shareEnabled setting. This isn't a 
problem if they take the .ini into account :)
g/ In npdscmd.txt, one can read for every shared record something like:
REGUP null:0 Paul Guyot's Experimental Newton Server
Not sure that things will be alright at restart. Also, we can't find 
the list of shared server. I think that for that, we need REGUPSERVER 
commands defined and implemented.
h/ the software accepts to have the same Newton as its own and as a 
shared one. I think this is a bad idea, but a good strategy would be 
rather complex.

I'll try to fix points c-e and maybe g/h.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 05:02:12 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

Well, I tried Josh's sugestion from the manual and it did not change the outcome.

:(

I can't serve web pages anymore. Rats!

I can still surf the web with NetHopper though.

Other things I have tried:
Rename my HTML file something else, then get NoteServ to generate a new
default "index.html".
Didn't change.
Connect my Newton to only my Mac with a crossover cable, then try to
access the NPDS server.
Didn't change.

Now lets think logically here...
--------------------------------
The Newton will connect to other things via ethernet just fine
(NetHopper, Dock-to-NCU on Mac, and Register it's self on the
misato.chuma.org tracker)

The Newton will answer a request to it's NPDS server only once, right
when it first starts up (immeadiately After I see the connection slip
"Loading Ethernet Driver..." go away)

If I leave the NPDS server up and running, the Watcher app. will reboot
the Newton about every 15 Min. or so.

None of this makes any sence, because these packages work just fine on
other people's Newtons.

Back to square one!..... 

-- 
John (tired and going to bed) Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
email = [email-masked]
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:38:52 +0200 (CEST)
From: "Halvor Kise jr." <nospam_halvork_at_cybercomm_dot_no>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

Hi everybody!

Well, I also had this problem a long time ago. I asked the list for help, 
but none of the good ideas helped. :-(

I was unable to use my spesific Newton for NPDS, all other Newtons 
(my co-mates) worked. A very fustrating situation.

About a year later I had a huge system crash, and I had to restore from an 
ancient backup. I found out that if I did not restore "System information" 
(or whatever it is called) NPDS would work again!

The first time this happened to me was when I upgraded from nHTTPD (OR 
some other httpd for Newton) to NPDS.
It also happened not to long ago when I upgraded from one version of NPDS 
to another.

I got tired of always have to provide the Newton with my name, location, 
writing recognition etc., so I bought another Newton where I could install 
NPDS and leave it online.

What you need to do is to backup your Newton.
Hold power button and reset button until you are asked if you wish to 
delete all information on the Newton. Delete.
Restore from backup. Do not restore "System Information" or anything else 
that is system-like. Do not restore NPDS or modules.
Install NPDS according to manual.
Say "Thanks" if it works.
Say "You stupid idiot wasted my time" if it doesn't. :-)

- - Halvor.

- -- 
		*** MEMENTO MORI ***

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:48:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Trackers Down

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Josh Burker wrote:

> We know that Matt's tracker isn't registering Newtons, and now Victor's 
> doesn't come up with the web page and the Newton doesn't want to 
> register with it, either.
> 
> It's Friday evening PST:  time to start Servin'!!  And it's not a party 
> unless people know where we're at!

Geez Josh, you hit me in the 15 minutes I was down to install a new Linux
kernel (security, you know).  Just Kidding :)

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:50:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] New tracker server

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Paul Guyot wrote:

> I've setup a new tracker server. And I set it to share with misato 
> (and misato to share with it). It is hosted by Bill Shamam (who also 
> hosts NTLK) at:
> http://shakti.continuity.cx:2110

Woo!

> To register on it (instead of misato, you don't need to be registered 
> on both as they share their records), just use misato settings but 
> replace misato.chuma.org with shakti.continuity.cx.
> 
> Victor, I've noticed a couple of things while setting up the server on shakti:

Those all sound like your problems, not mine :)  I'm off to Toronto today,
so I won't be able to help.

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:29:04 -0700
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!
From: Josh Burker <nospam_senorwences_at_mac_dot_com>

--Apple-Mail-1--474459045
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=WINDOWS-1252;	format=flowed

On Saturday, October 20, 2001, at 03:02 AM, John Skinner wrote:

>
> Well, I tried Josh's sugestion from the manual and it did not change=20=

> the outcome.
> :(

Shucks!

OK, grab a copy of Prefs Cleaner and follow these directions:

Remove all the packages.
2.	In your storage folder in the Extensions drawer, select NPDS =
Cache=20
and Delete all the items. This, as you can guess, will remove all your=20=

GIFs, cached HTML bits, and other large stored data structures.
3.	Next, tap NPDS Scripts and NPDS Log in the Storage drawer and=20
Delete those items. Those are CGI scripts and Log entries, respectively.
4.	To be complete, use a prefs-cleaner like *Standalone's Prefs=20
Cleaner to remove these entries from your Prefs soup.

=95 nHTTPd:ALLPEN
=95 pHTML:MAVON
=95 pDATES:MAVON
=95 pCARDS:MAVON
=95 HTTPConfig:MAVON
=95 pGIFS:MAVON
=95 pPAGER:MAVON
=95 NPDS:MAVON

Then reinstall nHTTPd and initialize it, then the other packages you=20
want to load.  It makes sense that it might be a preference left on the=20=

Newton at some point that is hanging up the server.  I can see your=20
Newton on misato and shakti (you have to love our Trackers' names,=20
btw).  There's just something that's screwing up the Notes being served=20=

(though I've also tried to pull up your /screen and your /dates as=20
well.  Zap the preferences above preferences and let the application=20
recreate them in the initialization process.

This one is curious.

Additionally, clearing a bunch of packages that I didn't need off the=20
Newton and freezing others completely stablized my Newton=20
(*knock*knock*).

Josh Burker

--Apple-Mail-1--474459045
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/enriched; charset=WINDOWS-1252

On Saturday, October 20, 2001, at 03:02 AM, John Skinner wrote:

<excerpt>

Well, I tried Josh's sugestion from the manual and it did not change
the outcome.

:(

</excerpt>

Shucks!

OK, grab a copy of Prefs Cleaner and follow these directions:

<fontfamily><param>Times</param>Remove all the packages.=20

2.	In your storage folder in the Extensions drawer, select =
<bold>NPDS
Cache </bold>and Delete all the items. This, as you can guess, will
remove all your GIFs, cached HTML bits, and other large stored data
structures.=20

3.	Next, tap <bold>NPDS Scripts </bold>and <bold>NPDS Log</bold> in
the Storage drawer and Delete those items. Those are CGI scripts and
Log entries, respectively.=20

4.	To be complete, use a prefs-cleaner like
=
*<underline><color><param>0000,0000,FFFF</param>Standalone</color></underl=
ine>'s
Prefs Cleaner to remove these entries from your Prefs soup.=20

=95
=
</fontfamily><bold><fontfamily><param>Courier</param>nHTTPd:ALLPEN</fontfa=
mily></bold><fontfamily><param>Times</param>=20

=95
=
</fontfamily><bold><fontfamily><param>Courier</param>pHTML:MAVON</fontfami=
ly></bold><fontfamily><param>Times</param>=20

=95
=
</fontfamily><bold><fontfamily><param>Courier</param>pDATES:MAVON</fontfam=
ily></bold><fontfamily><param>Times</param>=20

=95
=
</fontfamily><bold><fontfamily><param>Courier</param>pCARDS:MAVON</fontfam=
ily></bold><fontfamily><param>Times</param>=20

=95
=
</fontfamily><bold><fontfamily><param>Courier</param>HTTPConfig:MAVON</fon=
tfamily></bold><fontfamily><param>Times</param>=20

=95
=
</fontfamily><bold><fontfamily><param>Courier</param>pGIFS:MAVON</fontfami=
ly></bold><fontfamily><param>Times</param>=20

=95
=
</fontfamily><bold><fontfamily><param>Courier</param>pPAGER:MAVON</fontfam=
ily></bold><fontfamily><param>Times</param>=20

=95 </fontfamily><bold><fontfamily><param>Courier</param>NPDS:MAVON

</fontfamily></bold>Then reinstall nHTTPd and initialize it, then the
other packages you want to load.  It makes sense that it might be a
preference left on the Newton at some point that is hanging up the
server.  I can see your Newton on misato and shakti (you have to love
our Trackers' names, btw).  There's just something that's screwing up
the Notes being served (though I've also tried to pull up your /screen
and your /dates as well.  Zap the preferences above preferences and
let the application recreate them in the initialization process.

This one is curious.

Additionally, clearing a bunch of packages that I didn't need off the
Newton and freezing others completely stablized my Newton
(*knock*knock*).

Josh Burker

--Apple-Mail-1--474459045--

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 18:06:32 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

"Halvor Kise jr." wrote:
Say "You stupid idiot wasted my time" if it doesn't. :-)

Well, I won't say that to you, but I already tried this.

I did not restore anything except for my Notes (no system information,
or "Other" as it says in NCU).

All packages have been downloaded from UNNA and installed, not restored.

The next option I will try is to export my "index.html" note to the Mac
so I can import it instead of restoring it.

That way, as far as my newton is concerned, everything is brand new to it.

-- 
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
email = [email-masked]
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 18:53:35 -0500
From: John Skinner <nospam_ndutyme_at_home_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Server will not respond!!

Josh Burker wrote:
> Shucks!
> 
> OK, grab a copy of Prefs Cleaner and follow these directions:
> 

Would not a Brian wipe clean out all the old soups?
Even so, after I installed NIE and drivers for my ethernet card, then
hHTTPd,.. I used TrashPak to make sure there were not any additional
soups there. Then I opened nHTTPd to initialize it, then installed the
other NPDS packages.

This was a "no-go".

-- 
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
email = [email-masked]
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #83
*************************