Subject: npds Digest V2 #58

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 03:11:21 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Thu, 30 Aug 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 058

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] How to prevent hanging
		[NPDS] Re: Finding the current modules [Was: nHTTPd 2.038 Bu
		[NPDS] Re: Finding the current modules [Was: nHTTPd 2.038 Bu
		[NPDS] Re: How to prevent hanging
		[NPDS] Re: nHTTPd 2.038 BugTrap Reports
		[NPDS] Re: 2.039 Bug Reports
		[NPDS] Re: nHTTPd 2.039 BugTrap Reports
		[NPDS] Updates Website: nHTTPd 2.039 & Tracker Client 2.035 
		[NPDS] Re: Finding the current modules [Was: nHTTPd 2.038 Bu
		[NPDS] [ANN] NPDSTracker 0.1.27
		[NPDS] Re: Updates Website: nHTTPd 2.039 & Tracker Client 2.
		[NPDS] OK, here's a fun one...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Finding the current modules [Was: nHTTPd 2.038 BugTrap Reports]
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:42:52 -0600
From: Grant Hutchinson <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Dale Steele typed vigorously:

>It looks like you have been busy since returning from vacation! I've 
>just returned myself and am trying to catch up with what versions of 
>NPDS modules I should be running. I've just upgreated to 2.039 but 
>didn't see any updates to the other modules. Can you briefly list out 
>what versions of each of the modules would be considered stable?

A listing of the current and supported modules can be found on a new 
server set up by Paul specifically to contain all the NPDS code:

     http://npds.free.fr/

To get up to speed on  what has been happening in the world of NPDS, I 
suggest you read this document:

     http://npds.free.fr/Read%20Me.txt

>I don't recall where I can find (or can I?) the Watcher module that
>I think helps bring me back on a tracker after a restart?

NPDS Watcher (a lovely piece of software, I might add...) can be 
downloaded directly from here:

     http://npds.free.fr/NPDS%20Watcher/

The most currently version is "008ac".

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: 30 Aug 2001 12:21:18 EDT
From: [email-masked] (Charles P. Daghlian)
Subject: [NPDS] How to prevent hanging

Hi,

I am running NPDS 2.039 (as http://paleonews.dartmouth.edu) and have a problem
when a connection apparently stays open, causing the server to hang. A restart
will get it going again. This also happened with earlier versions. Is there a
setting that will prevent this, or some other way to keep the server up and
running? The error message on NPDS is often 404 (Code Red virus ). 

Chuck
********************************************
Charles P. Daghlian, Ph. D.
Director, Rippel E. M. Facility
7605 Remsen
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH 03755
603-646-1039 / FAX 603-650-1637
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~emczar/
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~daghlian/paleo/
********************************************

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:34:25 -0700
From: Dale Steele <nospam_dtsteele_at_mac_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Finding the current modules [Was: nHTTPd 2.038 BugTrap

Grant:
Thanks for the leads and suggestions. I have pulled in the latest 
versions of each module via this page but now seem to have connection 
problems. I'm using the same settings as far as I can tell (I didn't 
change anything) but my connections seem to be very limited and I am 
getting tracker error msgs that I never saw before. At some points, 
it seems that not all the modules are showing up in nHTTPd until I 
restart. Perhaps I just need a little more documentation to get the 
updated versions to be compatible again. I did have NPDS working well 
in the past.

Any thoughts on where to start?

Thanks,

Dale
>In a previous message, Dale Steele typed vigorously:
>
>>It looks like you have been busy since returning from vacation! I've
>>just returned myself and am trying to catch up with what versions of
>>NPDS modules I should be running. I've just upgreated to 2.039 but
>>didn't see any updates to the other modules. Can you briefly list out
>>what versions of each of the modules would be considered stable?
>
>A listing of the current and supported modules can be found on a new
>server set up by Paul specifically to contain all the NPDS code:
>
>      http://npds.free.fr/
>
>To get up to speed on  what has been happening in the world of NPDS, I
>suggest you read this document:
>
>      http://npds.free.fr/Read%20Me.txt
>
>>I don't recall where I can find (or can I?) the Watcher module that
>>I think helps bring me back on a tracker after a restart?
>
>NPDS Watcher (a lovely piece of software, I might add...) can be
>downloaded directly from here:
>
>      http://npds.free.fr/NPDS%20Watcher/
>
>The most currently version is "008ac".
>
>g.
>
>......................................................................
>
>Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys
>
>Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
>Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
>Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/
>
>
>
>[NPDS Mailing List: To unsubscribe: 
>mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe]

-- 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:06:55 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Finding the current modules [Was: nHTTPd 2.038 BugTrap

>Any thoughts on where to start?

Reboot after installation.
Then configure the tracker client. You were registered with a private 
IP (I unregistered you). Then check the configuration of all other 
modules. Some configurations have been lost in the upgrade process 
(such as the tracker client configuration for example).

The tracker client error messages are in fact errors from the server. 
Normally, you shouldn't see any, but if, for example, the tracker is 
down or you are trying to register again while you were already 
registered and so on, you get an error message. To avoid 400 error 
messages, just uncheck the proper box in the tracker client. You'll 
still be warned it if the tracker server is down.

Then press start. Enjoy.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:08:38 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: How to prevent hanging

>I am running NPDS 2.039 (as http://paleonews.dartmouth.edu) and have a problem
>when a connection apparently stays open, causing the server to hang. A restart
>will get it going again. This also happened with earlier versions. Is there a
>setting that will prevent this, or some other way to keep the server up and
>running?

NPDS Watcher does this. Grab the most recent version from the NPDS 
updates website (http://ndps.free.fr).
If by hanging you mean that your Newton is frozen, be sure to check 
the checkbox "Check that the NS task is alive" in the NPDS Watcher 
settings.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:10:03 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: nHTTPd 2.038 BugTrap Reports

>Can you briefly list out what versions of each of the modules would 
>be considered stable?

I think we might consider now that 2.039 is the officially supported 
nHTTPd version. It seems to be more stable than 2.037.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:18:36 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: 2.039 Bug Reports

>I recently had a -10061 which I triggered by tapping the nHTTPd's Plug-in
>drop down. I recovered from the -10061 with ABD's i button, but after that,
>the drop down would not respond (it recognized the tap, but no drop-down
>appeared). Server was still active and responsive to queries.

-10061 are really bad for NPDS because it works asynchronously. If 
you have one, you'd better reset.

BTW, I haven't had -10061 since I got this new unit (of course, it's 
a 2100). I'm running Heaven or Hell checking something like every 2-5 
mins plus power off checks and System Patch 0.5b with the super 
-10061 fix with a frequency of 500 (ms/pkg).

>On its first ping by the tracker, I got a -48200 from the Watcher, which did
>generate a Bug Trap Report, http://128.150.4.33/html/-88186101$411.nsd

Got it. I'm going to fix this ASAP. Besides, this generates an 
exception in the verification process, hence the watcher didn't 
restarted the Newton.

>I still get restarts without a subsequent connection to the network - I was
>able to observe one after a -64900 (?) Internet Error, which results in the
>following floaters:
>- "Tracker Client: Oops, the server returned an error: [blank]"
>- "Tracker Client: An error occurred in Endpoint Connect. A communications
>problem occurred, Connection may have been dropped. Error = -16013"

Probably because Matt's tracker was down. I noticed that the error 
message isn't really clear. I got the same this morning.

>The work-around to this is a simple Stop-Start recycle, but NPDS Watcher
>will not do this by itself, so if there is no Admin around, the server stays
>in this state indefinitely.

Well, when I got such errors, my Newton continued to serve pages.
Generally, tracker client errors do not affect the server itself. 
Hence the fact that NPDS Watcher doesn't restart the Newton in such a 
case.

>Perhaps it is a hiccup from the LAN

Yes, perhaps.

I'm sure that your Newton still was serving pages properly. Could you 
please check the next time you get the problem?

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:22:25 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: nHTTPd 2.039 BugTrap Reports

>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$44.nsd
>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$45.nsd
>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$46.nsd
>
>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$63.nsd
>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$64.nsd
>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$65.nsd
>

Umm. I'm going to try to reproduce this. Shouldn't be very hard.

>BugTrap also spat out one more report regarding something that happened
>to NPDS Watcher. I'm not sure how this error occurred, but you can take
>look at it anyway.
>
>      http://newton.splorp.com/html/-72365934$53.nsd

This is very similar from the bug Paul experienced.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:38:35 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Updates Website: nHTTPd 2.039 & Tracker Client 2.035 promoted t

Hi Folks,

A quick note to tell you that nHTTPd 2.039 and Tracker Client 2.035 
are now promoted to the officially supported versions until there are 
more stable versions around.

Oh, a special note to Grant and Paul. Could you please not publish 
bug trap logs for bugs that were fixed and could you please just send 
the URLs to the list instead of putting a link on your Newton's home 
page?
I know that NPDS isn't a very stable software, but nevertheless, 
let's not advertise it too much this way.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:58:33 -0700
From: Dale Steele <nospam_dtsteele_at_mac_dot_com>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Finding the current modules [Was: nHTTPd 2.038 BugTrap

Paul:

That seemed to do the trick, at least so far so good. Thanks for the 
upgrades and feedback. I plan to test things while I'm away for a bit.

Dale

>>Any thoughts on where to start?
>
>Reboot after installation.
>Then configure the tracker client. You were registered with a 
>private IP (I unregistered you). Then check the configuration of all 
>other modules. Some configurations have been lost in the upgrade 
>process (such as the tracker client configuration for example).
>
>The tracker client error messages are in fact errors from the 
>server. Normally, you shouldn't see any, but if, for example, the 
>tracker is down or you are trying to register again while you were 
>already registered and so on, you get an error message. To avoid 400 
>error messages, just uncheck the proper box in the tracker client. 
>You'll still be warned it if the tracker server is down.
>
>Then press start. Enjoy.
>
>Paul
>--
>Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
>Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/
>
>[NPDS Mailing List: To unsubscribe: 
>mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe]

-- 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:14:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] [ANN] NPDSTracker 0.1.27

The latest build of the tracker server is now running on
misato.chuma.org:2110.  The server will now save registered servers to a
file, so that in case of a server crash or restart, the previuos data will
be loaded automagically.

The new source will be uploaded to http://npds.free.fr shortly.

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: Updates Website: nHTTPd 2.039 & Tracker Client 2.035 promot
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:32:29 -0600
From: "Grant [Valid Permit] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Paul Guyot typed vigorously:

>Oh, a special note to Grant and Paul. Could you please not publish bug 
>trap logs for bugs that were fixed and could you please just send the URLs 
>to the list instead of putting a link on your Newton's home page?

Not a problem. The offending (yet once useful) logs have been summarily 
dismissed from the home page. Poof!

Paul - is there any way to serve up a note out of the soup that doesn't 
reside in the specified NotePad folder?

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

From: "Filmer, Paul E" <nospam_pfilmer_at_nsf_dot_gov>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Updates Website: nHTTPd 2.039 & Tracker Client 2.035 p
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:14:36 -0400

OK Paul -- I deleted all BugTrap Report previous to the latest install, and
also moved the link to the NPDS Bugs to a more obscure place in my tree. (I
didn't want to remove it entirely, since I can never remember the URL
anyway).

BTW, do you have any idea where BugTrap is getting its Time/Date information
from?  It generates one Time/Date for the title of the note, and has another
Time/Date in the text of the note, which are different from each other, and
BOTH WRONG when compared to the Clock app. The incorrect Time/Date in note
title also shows up in the second line of the Notes Overview (I am not sure
whether this coming from the created or modified slot)

...OK, I suspect the Time/Date in the text is the "Created" Time/Date _for
the pkg that crashed_ and not the note itself. That's one of them solved,
but the title Date/Time is still different by three hours from the Clock.

Very odd, and makes me wonder whether to trust the sorting of these notes by
date!  I realize you have nothing to do w/ BugTrap, but just a word before
you rely on the title Time/Dates for anything...

Paul F.

> -----Original Message-----
> Sent:	Thursday, August 30, 2001 2:39 PM
> 
> Hi Folks,
> 
> A quick note to tell you that nHTTPd 2.039 and Tracker Client 2.035 
> are now promoted to the officially supported versions until there are 
> more stable versions around.
> 
> Oh, a special note to Grant and Paul. Could you please not publish 
> bug trap logs for bugs that were fixed and could you please just send 
> the URLs to the list instead of putting a link on your Newton's home 
> page?
> I know that NPDS isn't a very stable software, but nevertheless, 
> let's not advertise it too much this way.
> 
> Paul

------------------------------

From: "Filmer, Paul E" <nospam_pfilmer_at_nsf_dot_gov>
Subject: [NPDS] OK, here's a fun one...
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:02:41 -0400

I just saw I was not registered on Matt's tracker, so I tapped the pull-down
for plug-ins, and --- hey! no Tracker Client listed!  Only four of the
plug-ins were listed (and I forgot to note which four...)
Stop-start did no good. 
Close-launch did no good. 
Only solution was a reboot to get back the full list of eight.

I wish CodeRed would get stamped out sometime soon...

Paul F.

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #58
*************************