Subject: npds Digest V2 #89

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 03:11:43 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Fri, 26 Oct 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 089

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates
		[NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates
		[NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates
		[NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates
		[NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:14:45 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates

>  >nHTTPd 2.040
>>------------
>
>      The version number is still set to 2.039.

Fixed in 2.041.
Other change for 2.041: Mozilla 5 is now considered as a modern 
browser, i.e. it will be sent inline CSS.
Note: I think that inline CSS will disapear with NPDS 3.0 (and 
generally speaking, CSS from the nHTTPd module).
Instead, we'll have templates (for notes converted to HTML by NPDS 
but also for every module showing stuff) and external CSS (which you 
have since NotePad 2.043).

I also think that I'm going to merge (for that reason) nHTTPd and 
NoteServ packages.

OK, this was the Friday lunch thoughts. Feel free to comment as 
usual. I'll start with the kernel so you've got the time to convince 
me to do otherwise :)

>  >NotePad Server 2.043
>>--------------------
>
>      This version is not on the npds.free.fr server. Oops.

Fixed. I also forgot to update the version anyway.
OK, the problem with updating the version is that you need to perform 
a reset (otherwise, you'll get errors) and then to reconfigure the 
note pad server. Cf Josh's note about what options means there. 
Anyone mirrored it? Josh, could I put it on the npds.free.fr server?

>  >GIF Server 1.11
>>---------------
>
>      The version number is still set to 1.

Fixed.

>I know these are minor things (well, except that the new Notepad Server
>is incognito at the moment), but I really do like to see exactly what
>version I have installed.

You're right to complain, Grant.

>I noticed that the BinInstaller archive will not decompress after
>downloading, which leads me to think it may be corrupted:
>
>      http://npds.free.fr/Binary%20Server/BinInstaller.sit

Same problem here, so I uploaded the archive again.

BTW, my little finger told me that there might be a (probably 
supported) windoze tool to upload binaries for the Binary Server. I 
might fix the big binaries serving problem then.

Also, I ran the new modules the whole night and the watcher didn't 
restart my Newton at all. There are still non thread safe problems 
with the stats, but I think that here we got one of the most stable 
release of NPDS for this branch.

If you do the same experience (and if you don't report too many 
bugs), I'll declare these new modules as the supported ones.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:49:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Paul Guyot wrote:

> BTW, my little finger told me that there might be a (probably 
> supported) windoze tool to upload binaries for the Binary Server. I 
> might fix the big binaries serving problem then.

Hrm, I've never been described as someone's little finger before...
(leaves self open to jokes)

Anyways, yes, I hope to cook something up in VB for this tomorrow.  If
anyone has RealBASIC they could probably fairly easily port it to Mac
(although I'll be using Sloup on the Newton side, meaning you'll need
serial ports).  

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:59:51 -0600
From: "Grant [Critical Shortage] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

>Instead, we'll have templates (for notes converted to HTML by NPDS 
>but also for every module showing stuff) and external CSS (which you 
>have since NotePad 2.043).
>
>I also think that I'm going to merge (for that reason) nHTTPd and 
>NoteServ packages.

I think this makes perfect sense from a usability standpoint, since that 
primary function of nHTTPd is to serve local documents. I think this will 
make for a much simpler and easier to understand package, at least in 
terms of attempting to describe base functionality and configuration when 
we start rewriting the documentation.

>>I know these are minor things (well, except that the new Notepad Server
>>is incognito at the moment), but I really do like to see exactly what
>>version I have installed.
>
>You're right to complain, Grant.

It was not so much a complaint, as an observation. Thanks for taking care 
of these niggling little issues.

>BTW, my little finger told me that there might be a (probably 
>supported) windoze tool to upload binaries for the Binary Server. I 
>might fix the big binaries serving problem then.

Paul, I was wondering whether anything happens on my Newt if I install 
the BinInstaller package without actually compiling a new version 
containing my own customer binary data. Silly, me... I was in full-blown, 
heads-down, install-every-update mode and mistakenly installed the 
default BinInstaller package without thinking. Is there any harm in doing 
so?

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 21:08:14 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates

>Paul, I was wondering whether anything happens on my Newt if I install
>the BinInstaller package without actually compiling a new version
>containing my own customer binary data. Silly, me... I was in full-blown,
>heads-down, install-every-update mode and mistakenly installed the
>default BinInstaller package without thinking. Is there any harm in doing
>so?

I think the default package installs the serve NPDS gif image you 
(and I) have on your Newton.
You can access it at an address like /bin/images/serve-npds.gif.

If it doesn't work or you don't want it, just delete the Binary soup 
(in Extras->Storage).

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:32:23 -0600
From: "Grant [Critical Shortage] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Paul Guyot typed vigorously:

>I think the default package installs the serve NPDS gif image you 
>(and I) have on your Newton.
>You can access it at an address like /bin/images/serve-npds.gif.
>
>If it doesn't work or you don't want it, just delete the Binary soup 
>(in Extras->Storage).

Marvelous That's all I needed to know.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:38:54 -0600
From: "Grant [Critical Shortage] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Paul Guyot typed vigorously:

>Also, I ran the new modules the whole night and the watcher didn't 
>restart my Newton at all. There are still non thread safe problems 
>with the stats, but I think that here we got one of the most stable 
>release of NPDS for this branch.
>
>If you do the same experience (and if you don't report too many 
>bugs), I'll declare these new modules as the supported ones.

Yes, they do seem very solid. Nicely done.

The only thing I've run across is a pestering little issue with the NPDS 
Cache viewer. I cleaned out all of the cache entries, and then BugTrap 
generated the following error when the Cache window was closed:

http://newton.splorp.com:8080/html/32227393$338.nsd

Yes, I can duplicate the problem. I don't recall having this problem in 
earlier versions of nHTTPd. I could be mistaken though.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Nine servers listed on one tracker!
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:54:41 -0600
From: "Grant [Critical Shortage] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

It's a new world record!

When was the last time you saw this many Newtons listed on a single NPDS 
tracker? Never, I'll bet you. I can't wait to see us break into double 
digits.

     http://www.splorp.com/gif/shaktitracker011026.gif

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:03:14 -0400
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Nine servers listed on one tracker!
From: Dave Abramowitz <nospam_underdog_at_erols_dot_com>

I'll be there next week, as soon as I send my router box out for repairs,
thus lifting the DHCP restriction on the Newt...

You guys should see the looks on people's faces when I show them the Newt
serving up web pages. The jaws drop even further when I show them WebPager.
Man, I love my Newton.

- Dave

On 10/26/01 4:54 PM, "Grant [Critical Shortage] Hutchinson"
<nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com> wrote:

> It's a new world record!
> 
> When was the last time you saw this many Newtons listed on a single NPDS
> tracker? Never, I'll bet you. I can't wait to see us break into double
> digits.
> 
>    http://www.splorp.com/gif/shaktitracker011026.gif
> 
> g.
> 
> ......................................................................
> 
> Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys
> 
> Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
> Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/
> 
> 
> 
> [NPDS Mailing List: To unsubscribe:
> mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 23:48:04 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates

>Yes, they do seem very solid. Nicely done.

Except that I succeeded to crash NPDS twice (once crashing the NS 
task, once it simply stopped serving). But it was with my new (but 
not ready yet) intensive website.

Bah, it will wait 3.0.

BTW, I fixed a little bug in NoteServ:

NoteServ 2.044
--------------
* Notes ending with .css, .js, .htm and .html no longer have their 
endlines translated to <BR>.

>The only thing I've run across is a pestering little issue with the NPDS
>Cache viewer. I cleaned out all of the cache entries, and then BugTrap
>generated the following error when the Cache window was closed:
>
>http://newton.splorp.com:8080/html/32227393$338.nsd
>
>Yes, I can duplicate the problem. I don't recall having this problem in
>earlier versions of nHTTPd. I could be mistaken though.

I noticed this already, but the exception is caught and you normally 
shouldn't see it. Set BugTrap to not log exceptions in try/catch 
blocks (and this definitely explains why you continued to get some 
exceptions which I could only fix by catching them (in the watcher)) 
;)

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:27:35 -0600
From: "Grant [Critical Shortage] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Paul Guyot typed vigorously:

>BTW, I fixed a little bug in NoteServ:
>
>NoteServ 2.044
>--------------
>* Notes ending with .css, .js, .htm and .html no longer have their 
>endlines translated to <BR>.

Zoinks, Paul! That's something like eight software releases or revisions 
(including DictBR) in the last two days. You're going to burn out both 
your keyboard and your net connection at this rate. Not that I'm 
complaining or anything... :)

>I noticed this already, but the exception is caught and you normally 
>shouldn't see it. Set BugTrap to not log exceptions in try/catch 
>blocks (and this definitely explains why you continued to get some 
>exceptions which I could only fix by catching them (in the watcher)) 

I was wondering what the recommended settings for BugTrap were. I've just 
been using it straight out of the box. Is there anything in the BugTrap 
report itself that specifically indicates whether the exception is one 
classified as try/catch?

At any rate, I'll make the change.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 00:40 +0200
From: "Paul Guyot" <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates

On Sam 27 oct 2001 Grant Hutchinson wrote:
>Zoinks, Paul! That's something like eight software releases or revisions 
>(including DictBR) in the last two days. You're going to burn out both 
>your keyboard and your net connection at this rate. Not that I'm 
>complaining or anything... :)
 
Did you count latest VNC client which includes some native code I wrote today for Steve? :)
[Actually, it's just a 20-lines function to fill a binary bitmap with some value, I have to write some other function for him and he has to test the SetPixel function I last wrote - did I mention that this code may be included in Waba?]

>I was wondering what the recommended settings for BugTrap were. I've just 
>been using it straight out of the box. Is there anything in the BugTrap 
>report itself that specifically indicates whether the exception is one 
>classified as try/catch?
>
>At any rate, I'll make the change.

Look at my screen (http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/screen/) until my server crashes.
However, the default is ignored for exceptions in try/catch blocks.

Paul

-- 
Newton Evangelist & Developer (alt.rec...., ATA Support, Quotes, etc)
Newton web page: http://www.kallisys.com/newton/
Sent from my MP2100 using SimpleMail
This Newton is online: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:51:42 -0600
From: "Grant [Critical Shortage] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Paul Guyot typed vigorously:

>Look at my screen (http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/screen/)
>until my server crashes.

It must of crashed. I only saw your backdrop.

>However, the default is ignored for exceptions in try/catch blocks.

Ok, there's a picker for "Crashing inside a Try" - I currently have had 
that set to simply "Is Ignore". There is no mention of a "catch". Are 
these the same things we are talking about?

Here's what my BugTrap looks like:

     http://www.splorp.com/junk/screenbugtrap011026.gif

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:59:56 -0700
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates
From: Josh Burker <nospam_senorwences_at_mac_dot_com>

On Friday, October 26, 2001, at 04:14 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:
> Fixed. I also forgot to update the version anyway.
> OK, the problem with updating the version is that you need to perform a 
> reset (otherwise, you'll get errors) and then to reconfigure the note 
> pad server. Cf Josh's note about what options means there. Anyone 
> mirrored it? Josh, could I put it on the npds.free.fr server?
>

By all means, please put it up at the npds.free.fr server as a .txt 
doc.  My Newton is online right now, but it's been pretty flaky lately; 
I'll load the newest NoteServ and nHTTPd this weekend (GIF server 1.11 
is already installed).

Josh

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #89
*************************