Subject: npds Digest V2 #28

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 03:11:23 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Thu, 24 May 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 028

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: [ANN] GIF Server 1.1
		[NPDS] Re: [ANN] GIF Server 1.1

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] GIF Server 1.1
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:06:19 -0600
From: "Grant [Carbolic Inhibitor] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

>There is a new version of GIF Server. I lost the const.f file,
>so the colors are not exactly the same (when the backlight is on)

Sounds like an opportunity to request a couple of features...

What if the backlight-on and backlight-off colors were user selectable 
using standard HTML or CSS hex values? These background colors could be 
fine-tuned by the owner to match any colors that may be used as part of 
the template style sheet or other HTML values. Additionally, the separate 
coloring of the backlight-on screen shots could be optionally turned off 
as well. With this option turned off, all of your screen shots could 
appear the same regardless of the state of the physical backlight.

It's all about aesthetics I guess...

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] GIF Server 1.1
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:01:18 -0600
From: "Grant [Carbolic Inhibitor] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Filmer, Paul typed:

>I agree - despite only having two colors, I did like the RGB sliders on the
>old version, in case I felt like serving electric orange on a black
>background... it was sort of like a mood-ring for me. But the 16 greys was
>the determining factor... 

Were the sliders part of the separate GIFMaker.pkg? They never seemed to 
do anything when I played with it.

>Having 16 RGB sliders would be somewhat cumbersome, but would certainly
>produce some interesting effects with certain backdrops...

Actually, you'd only need six sliders (or an alphanumeric picker, like 
the way you set requests and log entry expiration in the nHTTP app), 
three each for the backlight-on and backlight-off background colors.

Grant

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:12:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] GIF Server 1.1

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Grant [Carbolic Inhibitor] Hutchinson wrote:

> In a previous message, Filmer, Paul typed:
> 
> >I agree - despite only having two colors, I did like the RGB sliders on the
> >old version, in case I felt like serving electric orange on a black
> >background... it was sort of like a mood-ring for me. But the 16 greys was
> >the determining factor... 
> 
> Were the sliders part of the separate GIFMaker.pkg? They never seemed to 
> do anything when I played with it.

GIFMaker was/is the old B&W GIF server, written in NS, by Toad Hollow
Software.  It has nothing to do with Paul's (fast, written in C++, 4-bit)
server.

> Actually, you'd only need six sliders (or an alphanumeric picker, like 
> the way you set requests and log entry expiration in the nHTTP app), 
> three each for the backlight-on and backlight-off background colors.

Or, if you wanted to tint the image instead of just replacing white with
another colour, you'd just need sliders for the Hue value, right?  (Hey,
let's mix RGB with HSV!  Yeah!  It's even easier when Paul writes al the
code!  :)

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 22:27:24 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] GIF Server 1.1

>  > In a previous message, Filmer, Paul typed:

Grant, apparently Paul sent the message to you only. Could you please 
post it to the list? (Or Paul, if you still have it).

>  >
>>  >I agree - despite only having two colors, I did like the RGB sliders on the
>>  >old version, in case I felt like serving electric orange on a black
>>  >background... it was sort of like a mood-ring for me. But the 16 greys was
>>  >the determining factor...
>>
>>  Were the sliders part of the separate GIFMaker.pkg? They never seemed to
>>  do anything when I played with it.
>
>GIFMaker was/is the old B&W GIF server, written in NS, by Toad Hollow
>Software.  It has nothing to do with Paul's (fast, written in C++, 4-bit)
>server.
>
>>  Actually, you'd only need six sliders (or an alphanumeric picker, like
>>  the way you set requests and log entry expiration in the nHTTP app),
>>  three each for the backlight-on and backlight-off background colors.

You mean with an algorithm to compute the levels?
And maybe a nice curve to choose how much linear the difference 
between the levels should be?

>Or, if you wanted to tint the image instead of just replacing white with
>another colour, you'd just need sliders for the Hue value, right?  (Hey,
>let's mix RGB with HSV!  Yeah!  It's even easier when Paul writes al the
>code!  :)

LOL

BTW, I'm not sure I understood this request:

>What if the backlight-on and backlight-off colors were user selectable
>using standard HTML or CSS hex values? These background colors could be
>fine-tuned by the owner to match any colors that may be used as part of
>the template style sheet or other HTML values.

You mean that we could have some constants that NPDS will replace 
with values in the CSS depending on the state of the backlight? Just 
to have different colors in the HTML if the backlight is on or off?

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] GIF Server 1.1
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:24:59 -0600
From: "Grant [Carbolic Inhibitor] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

In a previous message, Paul Guyot typed vigorously:

>Grant, apparently Paul sent the message to you only. Could you please 
>post it to the list? (Or Paul, if you still have it).

Certainly. It will follow shortly.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] GIF Server 1.1
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:02:50 -0600
From: [email-masked],

 I agree - despite only having two colors, I did like the RGB sliders on 
the
old version, in case I felt like serving electric orange on a black
background... it was sort of like a mood-ring for me. But the 16 greys was
the determining factor... 

Having 16 RGB sliders would be somewhat cumbersome, but would certainly
produce some interesting effects with certain backdrops...

Paul F (currently in energy-starved Brazil)

-----Original Message-----
From: Grant [Carbolic Inhibitor] Hutchinson

Sounds like an opportunity to request a couple of features...

What if the backlight-on and backlight-off colors were user selectable 
using standard HTML or CSS hex values? These background colors could be 
fine-tuned by the owner to match any colors that may be used as part of 
the template style sheet or other HTML values. Additionally, the
separate 
coloring of the backlight-on screen shots could be optionally turned off

as well. With this option turned off, all of your screen shots could 
appear the same regardless of the state of the physical backlight.

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] GIF Server 1.1
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:08:30 -0600
From: "Grant [Carbolic Inhibitor] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

>> Were the sliders part of the separate GIFMaker.pkg? They never seemed to 
>> do anything when I played with it.
>
>GIFMaker was/is the old B&W GIF server, written in NS, by Toad Hollow
>Software.  It has nothing to do with Paul's (fast, written in C++, 4-bit)
>server.

But wasn't there two components to the GIF server? GIFMaker and 
pGIFServer? GIFMaker had the sliders, right?

>> Actually, you'd only need six sliders (or an alphanumeric picker, like 
>> the way you set requests and log entry expiration in the nHTTP app), 
>> three each for the backlight-on and backlight-off background colors.
>
>Or, if you wanted to tint the image instead of just replacing white with
>another colour, you'd just need sliders for the Hue value, right?  (Hey,
>let's mix RGB with HSV!  Yeah!  It's even easier when Paul writes al the
>code!  :)

Oh my word... the mind boggles. Perhaps a user-selectable colorspace, so 
we could use Lab or CMYK approximations as well... Hey Paul, could you 
look at porting ColorSync? :)

>You mean with an algorithm to compute the levels?
>And maybe a nice curve to choose how much linear the difference 
>between the levels should be?

I guess I was just thinking of a simple linear slider that changed each 
of the RGB values from 00 to FF. A curve would be nice, but it sounds 
like overkill to me.

>BTW, I'm not sure I understood this request:
>
>>What if the backlight-on and backlight-off colors were user selectable
>>using standard HTML or CSS hex values? These background colors could be
>>fine-tuned by the owner to match any colors that may be used as part of
>>the template style sheet or other HTML values.
>
>You mean that we could have some constants that NPDS will replace 
>with values in the CSS depending on the state of the backlight? Just 
>to have different colors in the HTML if the backlight is on or off?

Well, originally I was just thinking of different colors of each of the 
states not necessarily linked in any way to the NPDS CSS, but thinking 
about it again... it may be interesting to include a value in the main 
style sheet specifically for the GIFServer.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996.    http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #28
*************************