Subject: npds Digest V2 #35

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:11:28 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Wed, 13 Jun 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 035

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: Downloading nHTTPd Pre2.035
		[NPDS] misato.chuma.org tracker
		[NPDS] Re: misato.chuma.org tracker

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:37:25 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Downloading nHTTPd Pre2.035

>Is this just an NPDS hiccup that happens when serving the binaries?

I don't know. I have noticed the same problem when trying to download 
the binary from a remote server. But I can download it without any 
problem from the mac to the Newton.
I wonder if it's a bug in the binary server or NPDS or a problem with 
my internet connection (I am apparently losing 3% of packets to the 
US). Were you able to get a complete screenshot?

BTW, I told you that the binary server was experimental ;)

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:26:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Victor Rehorst <nospam_chuma_at_chuma_dot_org>
Subject: [NPDS] misato.chuma.org tracker

The tracker at misato has been down for a while.  This is because we've
discovered a problem with Java and 'dyndns' host names.  The problem is
that once Java looks up a host name, it caches the IP address
indefinately.  There is no way to flush this cache or force a fresh
lookup.  So, if you change the IP address for your dyndns host name,
the tracker will never be able to find your NPDS server again, because it
will be trying to contact the old IP address.

The (apparent) fix for this is either to wait until Java 1.4, or set a
parameter in Java 1.2 or later to control the amount of time that Java
caches the IP addresses.  Unfortunately, when I turned this option on it
started triggering server checks every minute.  I shut it off and haven't
had time to look at it yet.

Just thought y'all might like to know.

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] | [email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

------------------------------

From: "Filmer, Paul E" <nospam_pfilmer_at_nsf_dot_gov>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: misato.chuma.org tracker
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:42:41 -0400

Thanks Victor -

This applied directly to my server, since due to a firewall change here, my
IP address had to be changed from 128.150.102.46 to the new and (hopefully)
permanent 128.150.4.33. I don't know if you have any links to it among your
multitude of pages, but if so, then they are now broken...

I often try to register on any/all trackers (a wish list item for Paul G. --
automatic multiple registration!).

BTW, regarding UNNA, are you actively searching out material, or do you
depend entirely on submissions? (i.e. should I send any of my stuff to you
in order for it to be available from UNNA)

I stand in awe of your contribution to our surviving community.

Paul F.

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor Rehorst
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 6/13/01 10:26 AM
Subject: [NPDS] misato.chuma.org tracker

The tracker at misato has been down for a while.  This is because we've
discovered a problem with Java and 'dyndns' host names.  The problem is
that once Java looks up a host name, it caches the IP address
indefinately.  There is no way to flush this cache or force a fresh
lookup.  So, if you change the IP address for your dyndns host name,
the tracker will never be able to find your NPDS server again, because
it
will be trying to contact the old IP address.

The (apparent) fix for this is either to wait until Java 1.4, or set a
parameter in Java 1.2 or later to control the amount of time that Java
caches the IP addresses.  Unfortunately, when I turned this option on it
started triggering server checks every minute.  I shut it off and
haven't
had time to look at it yet.

Just thought y'all might like to know.

------Victor Rehorst -- [email-masked] |
[email-masked]
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of
Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives:  http://www.unna.org
----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org
-------------

[NPDS Mailing List: To unsubscribe:
mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe]

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #35
*************************