Subject: npds Digest V2 #88

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 03:11:31 +0200 (CEST)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Thu, 25 Oct 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 088

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] [ANN] NPDS updates

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:13:15 +0200
Subject: [NPDS] Re: NPDS for the new iWalk?
From: Cheezy <nospam_mo.cheez_at_wanadoo_dot_fr>

le 23/10/01 22:24, David Drew à [email-masked] a écrit :

> Hi,
> I thought I'd try to be the first to get in with this...
> 
> For those who haven't seen it already, go and have a look at (what is
> probably) the new iWalk, a sub-laptop / PDA by apple at www.spymac.com.
> Features are fantastic.

I'm sorry to disapoint you, but everybody saw it already and everybody knows
it's just another fake... People trusting this picture either have no taste
or aren't aware of Apple's new aesthetic rules, at all. (or both?)

> Since it's based on OS X, I guess we will have to use Apache for our web
> serving, instead of NPDS. If it's not part of the standard install, I
> can imagine it won't take people long at all to port Apache.

You keep dreamin'...
 
> I'm just happy that there's a 21st C replacement for my trusty Newton.
> Hail Apple!

There ain't yet!

Cheezy.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 22:38:04 +0200
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] [ANN] NPDS updates

Hi all,

I've just uploaded a couple of new versions of packages for the 
branch of NPDS I'm working on.
They can be found on this branch's website http://npds.free.fr
I'm also posting this on NTLK (on the contrary to what I usually do) 
to advertise these NPDS updates before NPDS 3.0.

What is NPDS?
=============
You know how much Apache is superior to any other desktop OS-web 
server solution? You know how much NewtonOS is superior to any other 
OS? Well, you therefore know what NPDS is :)
This web server was written by Matt Vaughn from a TCP Server code by 
Ray Rischpater. It runs on any 2.x Newton, although you probably 
would have some problems on a MP120.

Matt published NPDS 2.01 on his website 
(http://homepage.mac.com/LightyearDesign/NPDS/).

This branch derives from his code. It has been improved by Victor 
Rehorst who wrote the NPDS Java Tracker, Adam Tow and myself. It is 
tested on a daily basis by several active Newton users. Thanks to 
them all.

Because Ray's code is licensed under GPL (although it's illegal under 
NewtonOS), NPDS is licensed under GPL as well. However, all the code 
Matt, Adam Tow and I wrote is licensed under a BSD-like license 
(except the GIF Server for which I have to determine if I'm violating 
Unisys patent).

Anyway, it's open source, in case you want to give a hand.

Who uses NPDS?
==============

Could be you! A lot of Newton users do. Anyone who has a Newton, a 
permanent connection and a way to share it with their Newton should 
at least at night (you don't sleep with your Newton, do you?).
Users who share their Newton usually register them on a tracker, such 
as misato (http://misato.chuma.org:2110) or shakti tracker 
(http://shakti.continuity.cx:2110/).
NPDS users are usually on this branch of NPDS's mailing list (even if 
you use the other branch, you can register) where other users help 
them to setup their Newton, give advices and report bugs among other 
things. We even had our iPod thread :). You can subscribe by sending 
a mail with subscribe in the subject to [email-masked]. All 
that is ad free.

What is new?
============

The new modules fix several causes of problems which lead to server 
crashes (NPDS sometimes stops serving pages). Also, I've included a 
lot of debug lines to fix these bugs and a little change in the 
NoteServ module to help design of cool websites.

nHTTPd 2.040
------------
  Fixed the SetRemove problem (thanks Sean) with a workaround. I think 
this is why the server sometimes refused to close every endpoint
  Added plenty of verbose lines and updated the previous ones.

NotePad Server 2.043
--------------------
  Various cleanups
  Added more verbose outputs when kDebugOn is TRUE
  Any note with a title ending with .css or .js or .htm or .html won't 
be translated to HTML. However, I think that the MIME type sent is 
text/html. Bah, this is just a temporary change before NPDS 3.0 alpha 
1.

GIF Server 1.11
---------------
  Fixed a bug causing the endpoint to not be closed.

Binary Server 1.01
------------------
  Fixed the same bug also present there. I checked, it's not present 
anywhere else.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] Re: [ANN] NPDS updates
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:18:50 -0600
From: "Grant [Critical Shortage] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

Hey Paul.

Thanks for all of the updates. Quite honestly I don't think we were 
expecting any. It's certainly a nice surprise prior to any NPDS 3.0 
releases. However, (and oh how I hate to hear that word myself...) I have 
found a couple of minor (read: cosmetic) issues with the latest releases.

>nHTTPd 2.040
>------------

     The version number is still set to 2.039.

>NotePad Server 2.043
>--------------------

     This version is not on the npds.free.fr server. Oops.

>GIF Server 1.11
>---------------

     The version number is still set to 1.

I know these are minor things (well, except that the new Notepad Server 
is incognito at the moment), but I really do like to see exactly what 
version I have installed.

Thanks again.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

Subject: [NPDS] BinInstaller archive corrupted?
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:28:56 -0600
From: "Grant [Critical Shortage] Hutchinson" <nospam_grant_at_splorp_dot_com>

Hi again Paul.

This is what you get when I start snooping around...

I noticed that the BinInstaller archive will not decompress after 
downloading, which leads me to think it may be corrupted:

     http://npds.free.fr/Binary%20Server/BinInstaller.sit

Just thought I'd let you know.

g.

......................................................................

Grant Hutchinson                       Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings.    http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain.    http://www.splorp.com/newton/

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #88
*************************