Subject: npds Digest V2 #98

From: Listar <nospam_listar_at_ml.free_dot_fr>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 03:11:41 +0100 (CET)

------------------------------------
npds Digest	Thu, 15 Nov 2001	Volume: 02  Issue: 098

In This Issue:
		[NPDS] Re: Admin Post now really broken
		[NPDS] Shakti going up & down

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:32:42 -0600
From: John Skinner <nospam_john_at_johnskinner_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Admin Post now really broken

Grant, I feel the same way!

I don't even know how long it's been there, and I never even heard of it!

I'm just plain ignorant sometimes!

> On Tuesday, November 13, 2001, at 06:10 PM, Josh Burker wrote:
>
> > Just so everybody is aware, the /html/admin-post.html page on the NPDS
> > server does not seem to work ...

<snip>

--
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
---
email = [email-masked]
http://members.home.com/ndutyme

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:58:36 -0800
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Admin Post now really broken
From: Josh Burker <nospam_senorwences_at_mac_dot_com>

On Wednesday, November 14, 2001, at 01:39 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:

>> not the Admin Post itself that is broken beyond not filing correctly.
>
> Indeed, I never used the Admin post feature, but I happened to send 
> text to my Newton using the regular post note feature and then I file 
> the note (thus later). I realize that you might not want the note to be 
> seen by others.
> Please just tell me where you expect the admin note to be filed, and 
> I'll fix the problem one of these nights between 0400 and 0412.
>
> Paul
>

First off, take care of yourself and we're in no rush.

Second, I would like the existing *function* to remain:  a pulldown menu 
on the html page that allows the administrator to file the Note in 
whichever Notes folder already exists on the Newton.  NPDS' preference 
to use the www or www post folder should stay the same; if the admin 
posts to the www or ww posts folder, the Note is available; if not, it's 
filed on the Newton, but not available from NPDS.

And since we're talking about it, how about in version 2 the ability for 
the admin to post to Dates, and/or others to post to Dates.  Matt had a 
version of NPDS at some point that he hinted at at some point; this 
would be handy for me as lately I seem to be leaving my Newton serving 
while I am remote.

Perhaps you could fit the Dates coding into 0412 and 0413 ;)  Seriously, 
Paul, my girlfriend just took the GRE (I hope you do/did well) and the 
cold season is upon the world; take care.

Josh

PS  I have a preliminary draft of the documentation for running NPDS 
behind a router/firewall; the first page is at:

  http://24.255.52.100:8080/html/router

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:01:39 +0000
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Admin Post now really broken
From: "Michael Lea" <nospam_mikel_at_scilink_dot_org>

Josh writes:
>I have a preliminary draft of the documentation for running NPDS 
>behind a router/firewall

Josh,

Earlier this week my LAN question was posted to this list regarding
running NPDS behind router/firewall. I would like to thank everyone who
provided support.

Unfortunately, the solutions suggested didn't solve the problem, because,
I finally came to the realization that the router's NAT was "dynamically"
being assigned by provider during every dial up session.

Indeed, as mentioned in your documentation, my situation is multiple
computers within home "manual" assigned IP LAN setup. Not much unlike the
DHCP situation you mentioned, with "dynamically" assigned NAT, the daily
NAT IP address changes made the situation not ideal to run NPDS. It might
be appropriate to mention this situation in NPDS documentation.

I found your draft documentation clear and concise providing easy
understanding of set-up.

Best regards,

Michael

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:53:29 +0100
From: Paul Guyot <nospam_pguyot_at_kallisys_dot_net>
Subject: [NPDS] Shakti going up & down

Hi all,

Just a quick note to tell you that shakti tracker might be 
disconnected and reconnected from the network in the next days.

Paul
-- 
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:39:24 -0800
Subject: [NPDS] Re: Router Documentation
From: <nospam_senorwences_at_mac_dot_com>

> Josh writes:
>> I have a preliminary draft of the documentation for running NPDS
>> behind a router/firewall
> 
> Josh,
> 
> Earlier this week my LAN question was posted to this list regarding
> running NPDS behind router/firewall. I would like to thank everyone who
> provided support.
> 
> Unfortunately, the solutions suggested didn't solve the problem, because,
> I finally came to the realization that the router's NAT was "dynamically"
> being assigned by provider during every dial up session.
> 
> Indeed, as mentioned in your documentation, my situation is multiple
> computers within home "manual" assigned IP LAN setup. Not much unlike the
> DHCP situation you mentioned, with "dynamically" assigned NAT, the daily
> NAT IP address changes made the situation not ideal to run NPDS. It might
> be appropriate to mention this situation in NPDS documentation.
> 
> I found your draft documentation clear and concise providing easy
> understanding of set-up.
> 
> Best regards,
> 
> Michael

I'm unsure of what you mean by "the router's NAT was 'dynamically' being
assigned" by your ISP.  Do you mean that the IP address that your router
uses to connect to the internet is being provided by DHCP?  Because my IP
address for my router (an OpenBSD box you'll learn more about as the
documentation progresses) also is assigned by DHCP, but my IPFilter/NAT
rules are written in such a way to account for this.

What's your router; I've been researching the most popular and have a good
sense as to what will work and not work.  Let me know, and I might be able
to help you on that.

BTW, there's more documentation but I've updated it on my iBook and just
need to get it onto the Newton.

Cheers,

Josh

------------------------------

End of npds Digest V2 #98
*************************